Snapped another Terez rod

Started by mrbrklyn, August 03, 2018, 01:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluefish69

What I had made Is expensive Costume Grips, Butt grip is one of a kind, Titanium Guides, it's Graphite Blank.

I won't tell you what I paid. Don't Ask

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Reel 224

Custom rods can be in the $1000.00 range and up, but you can get a rod built that will last a life time for around $300.00-$450.00 all depends.

Any pro builder works hard to build a good rod.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Jeri

Over the past few years there has been a trend towards using ever increasing strengths of carbons (graphite) in rods, to make them lighter through less material content. However, as strengths of carbon increase, the carbon gets more brittle, and there is the problem. Take the carbon sheet to too higher a strength, and the brittleness factor increases hugely. Then the slightest knock will fracture the material.

In our local surf rod fishery, we had companies going through the same evolution, and now they have backed off on super high strength carbons, to more moderate strengths, and the breakages have dropped accordingly. The other route that some blank manufacturers have gone, is to use high strength carbons in conjunction with lower strength, and get the best of both world - lighter weight and higher strength.

Reel 224

Rain Shadow makes the rod out of glass that you would be satisfied with............Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Brendan

QuoteYeah I know him.  He has insulted my rods more than once.

I own two of those rods and had them called a rich mans Ugly Stick. I'm not an all in Shimano guy but a friend hit one of my Teramar rods with a jig while it was in  the rod rack and they did replace it. Not the exact same rod because it had been discontinued.
Tight lines, Brendan.

thorhammer

Quote from: philaroman on August 03, 2018, 11:41:35 PM
hey, I definitely want a custom rod, but if I ever pay for one,
it'll be premium vintage glass tricked out w/ the finest modern Fuji components
I'd LOVE some titanium SiC's on a honey/tobacco/Fen blank

man after my own heart....that E / S glas is tough stuff.

Newell Nut

Quote from: mrbrklyn on August 09, 2018, 04:02:39 AM
I just looked up the rain shadow blanks... thanks!

The Rainshadows are very good blanks. My favorite for bottom fishing is a Seeker Hercules. I have punished the heck out of those rods and never a problem. None the many customs that I have built have had a problem either. Great lightweight blanks that can take a beating. I have one of my friends that actually fishes for grouper with a 15-30 Hercules that I built him. Too light for me for a grouper. I like the 30-60 or 40-80.

Dwight

Reel 224

I agree. I built a few of rain shadows for sail and for Ruth and I, no one has complained about the rods and I don't and complaints either.

Dwight; should know as a fellow rod builder, mater of fact I have also built Seeker rods and like Dwight said there strong as heck.

Joe

oc1

I've had three long ultralight rods built on Rain Shadow blanks.  They are all broken now..
-steve

akadashoe

Something like this?
Vintage E glass Calstar with Fuji MNSG Silicone carbide guides and tip.

akadashoe

Quote from: philaroman on August 03, 2018, 11:41:35 PM
hey, I definitely want a custom rod, but if I ever pay for one,
it'll be premium vintage glass tricked out w/ the finest modern Fuji components
I'd LOVE some titanium SiC's on a honey/tobacco/Fen blank

Forgot to hit the "quote" button Philaroman.
See my response on page 3

oc1

Quote from: mrbrklyn on September 01, 2018, 09:06:12 PM
Which blank.  There website is a mumble of confusion... to say the least.
1 each - Rainshadow RX7 IST1263F
2 each - Rainshadow IST1384F
-steve

Benni3

Very nice set up,,,,, :D and rain gear,,,,,,,,, ;D

steelfish

Quote from: Newell Nut on August 09, 2018, 08:08:03 PM
...... My favorite for bottom fishing is a Seeker Hercules.......... I have one of my friends that actually fishes for grouper with a 15-30 Hercules that I built him. Too light for me for a grouper. I like the 30-60 or 40-80.
Dwight
wow, a 15-30 for grouper should be a nice test for those blanks, that speaks loud for the seeker hercules.
dwight do you know what would be the difference on a Super seeker blank Vs Seeker hercules blank ?
I have a phenix BD 60lb which is really thin, but Im now into build me a light rod with great backbone, so, the phenix will be for sell pretty soon to fund me a new custom rod, I was thinking on get me a super seeker 30lb blank but found this post from you and got me thinking on the seeker hercules

Quote from: mrbrklyn on July 30, 2019, 02:46:00 AM
I never showed the end product

so, at the end, what blank brand and model did you choose?

The Baja Guy