2nd trip to Icy Bay Lodge on July 22 - 28

Started by ksong, August 04, 2018, 12:13:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksong

I visited the Icy Bay Lodge again with other anglers.
Weather was great. As long as weather is good enough to go offshore, good fishing is guaranteed.
Everyone use light Black Hole USA rods on jigs.
The biggest halibut on jigs was caught by Ken Ross using Black Hole Cape Cod 80g jigging rod an the second biggest halibut of 197 lb was caught by Dannon using light Black Hole Cape Cod Slow Pitch jigging rod.
I used light 6'8" Black Hole Charter Special Slow Pitch rods and got many halibut upto 150 lb.

using 6'8" Black Hole Charter Special Slow Pitch rod

Fred using 7'3" Black Hole Charter Special rod

Ken's 244 lb halibut using Black Hole Cape Cod 80g jigging rod

Dannon's catch using Black Hole Cape Cod Slow Pitch jigging rod

Dannon fighting 197 lb halibut

Dannon's 197 lb halibut

David releasing halibut. He used Black Hole Cape Cod 150g spinning rod

Esther using Black Hole Cape Cod 80g rod

Jane's catch using light 6'8" Black Hole Charter Special Slow Pitch rod

Dominick

Ksong, thanks for the report.  It looks like you all had a great time trying to put a hurting on that tackle.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

STRIPER LOU

That's some great fishing Bud, especially on those light weight sticks.

Nicely done,  ..  Lou

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

David Hall

Crazy big fish on those pencil thin rods. 

akfish

Isn't there a maximum size limit on halibut? And a one per year limit on yelloweye and ling cod? We have those regulations for non residents in my part of Alaska.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

ksong

Quote from: akfish on August 07, 2018, 12:33:20 AM
Isn't there a maximum size limit on halibut? And a one per year limit on yelloweye and ling cod? We have those regulations for non residents in my part of Alaska.
Alaska has different regulations for different locations. You can have two halibut ( one under 28" and one is above) and possession limit is four. But we don't see small halibut under 28" often. And we released most of halibut. Ling cod is one per day and two possession limit. Again, we released most of ling cod.
Quote from: akfish on August 07, 2018, 12:33:20 AM