hey, I know that red thingamajig on the fore grip
1st one I've seen in use, aside from my own
works better, if its closer to the spool

I see the red thingamajig; what is it?

Frank

poor-man's baitrunner -- just a tiny plastic vise w/ tension screw & zip-tie

Midway Tommy

Quote from: W8LON on August 07, 2018, 12:19:52 AM
Have the bail and line roller, just the catch was broken. There may just be a more technical name for it enlighten at will.

It is commonly known, in the US anyway, as the bail arm.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

W8LON

Had the day off with Dr appointments in morning, what to day with the afternoon? Make a bail arm! Hardware store had .070 brass stock same as original broken aluminum arm. Laid out on piece of type paper and glued to brass stock then rough cut with , cmount jig saw. Hand filed to fit then bent in machinist vice. Reel is the smoothest UL in the collection of Quicks and haven't even tore it down to give it a proper lube job yet. It never had much use as timing of bail was off allowing bail arm to hit handle every sixth crank which likely caused failure.
Ready for Brook Trout fishing for the weekend!
I may have a Reel problem! Collector and user of an eclectic mix of reels to be torn apart and improved if needed. English Centrepin reels, Adcock Stanton's, Harlow. Swedish ABU, Cardinal 4's, Baitcasters, Korean CD4's, 1000,2000,3000. Italian spinning reels, Orvis 100,100A, Ted Williams 300,350, 410, True Temper 333, Eagle Claw(Ofmer) hi speeds ECRU, ECQ. DAM Quicks with more to find!

Midway Tommy

WOW! Nice job making that piece, it looks great!

If the bail arm hit the crank handle it had nothing to do with timing. Either the bail arm or bail was bent a little, or the crank arm has a slight bend. It doesn't take much of a bend for them to hit each other, they were designed to have very little clearance.   

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

W8LON

Thank you, as suspected the difference in weight of brass vs aluminum creates a slight imbalance. May just play with a few small lead pellets on opposite side of bail, noticeable with the 5:1 gear ratio. Actually cleaned the stock grease from gears and replaced with Lubriplate AA grease, smooth as butter! Who needs all those fancy bearings...
I may have a Reel problem! Collector and user of an eclectic mix of reels to be torn apart and improved if needed. English Centrepin reels, Adcock Stanton's, Harlow. Swedish ABU, Cardinal 4's, Baitcasters, Korean CD4's, 1000,2000,3000. Italian spinning reels, Orvis 100,100A, Ted Williams 300,350, 410, True Temper 333, Eagle Claw(Ofmer) hi speeds ECRU, ECQ. DAM Quicks with more to find!

MitchelGarcia

Hi. I almost used DAM Quick as UN too. Great reels. Had a 110, not so good, then got a 110n, a much better real. Also have a big reel for surf, a 550n. Robust and reliable.

foakes

Excellent craftsmanship, Lon!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

W8LON

Timing issue as mentioned earlier requires just the right amount of compound bend to clear bail and bail arm(line roller). This only occurs due to what I believe by count is close tolerances and 5:1 gear ratio. If chosen gear ratio of design had been 5.3:1 or 4.7:1 by adding or subtracting a tooth on main or pinion alignment would be less of an issue. Every fifth bail flip can create this issue depicted in enclosed pics. Everything has been attended to with a little more filing near/at line roller and reforming of bail wire at least till that fifth flip. Thoughts or just me, simple fix is antireverse flip and back wind to flip.

It only required around 4hrs of hand filing and 2hrs of fitting to make the brass part, good thing I work cheap!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: W8LON on August 11, 2018, 12:36:03 AM
Timing issue as mentioned earlier requires just the right amount of compound bend to clear bail and bail arm(line roller). This only occurs due to what I believe by count is close tolerances and 5:1 gear ratio. If chosen gear ratio of design had been 5.3:1 or 4.7:1 by adding or subtracting a tooth on main or pinion alignment would be less of an issue. Every fifth bail flip can create this issue depicted in enclosed pics. Everything has been attended to with a little more filing near/at line roller and reforming of bail wire at least till that fifth flip. Thoughts or just me, simple fix is antireverse flip and back wind to flip.

It only required around 4hrs of hand filing and 2hrs of fitting to make the brass part, good thing I work cheap!

Your bail arm is oversize and also enlarges/widens the bend/loop in the bail. Below is my unused 1001 showing the shape of an original bail arm and clearances of the bail to the handle in closed and open bail positions. The last photo is of the open bail just before it snaps shut. There should be approximately 3/16 inch clearance between the corner of the bail arm and the crank arm at that, the closest, point.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

oc1

The brass bail arm looks like it is bent.  Shouldn't the line roller be square to the spool when the bail is closed??
-steve

W8LON

Thank you, Tom, I think that a piece of the bail arm may be missing from my original. I fit the pieces together best I could while laying out my pattern. There was a rub mark at same point for I'm previous owner likely a stepped on bent bail wire then as well. Your pictures are very helpfull will fish it till you be long cold winter arrives.

W8LON

Thanks for the help guys! The beauty of brass, straighten out and reform. Tricky to get right but got it..

Now on to an Italian, well used in a saltwater environment. Instant antireverse without one way bearings.

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

W8LON

I see Ofmer is still in business, likely made in the Oreint now. Much prefer the ECO...

happyhooker

That is a nice job on the custom bail arm, WBLON.  Yeah, it took some time, but you got it.  I need to make one for a Shakespeare I have, and your work encourages me.  Thanks for the post.

Also, welcome to MitchelGarcia, from Minnesota, as I see his first post has been made & a topic found of interest!

Frank