ABU Revo Premier (2008-2009 model) little drag out of the box

Started by Reinaard van der Vossen, August 21, 2011, 06:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reinaard van der Vossen

I just got myself an ABU revo premier for a decent price (because it's the old model) The reel is brand new and just out of the box I can get approx 2-3 pounds of drag of this reel where it should have something like 12. Now the 12 lbs drag might be a little over the top for such a small reel but this is no good. I purchased the reel over the internet on ebay so sending it back is a hassle.

I've heard that, although this reel is no drag champion it should be able to give something like 8-9 pounds which is a lot closer to the advertised 12 and would be more than sufficient for me. I also heard that there were more revo premier reels with lousy drag right out of the box but could not find a decent article/posting/solution.

The revo premier is the smallest of the revo series with 179 grams/6,35 oz. This is the one I have:

Is there something that can be done to improve the drag or should I just sent it back when the drag is that bad right out of the box. I've loaded the spool with 80 meters of mono before the braid and as far as i can see I have no slippage of the line on the spool.

Is there anybody aware that this has occured with other 2009 model revo premiers and what the solution was?

Any help would be appreciated

Ken_D

Hi. Looks like the reel was made in week 41 of year 2008, (sometime in october) designed in year 2007.  Is it possible it's been parked on somebody's shelf for 3 years, allowing all the tramp oil and grease inside to migrate, and contaminate the drag washers?

In the round 4-5-6-7-10 reels, _sold locally_, the washers are contaminated after sitting on the retail shelf for only a few months....after coming from a warehouse somewhere, parked there, for however long.  

I'd first give Purefishing a call, 1-800-abugarcia, follow the prompts to reels, and explain your situation.

Sidebar: Abu's quite proud of the keeper, keeper screw, and handle nut on your piece. Over double the cost for the same stuff on a round reel. Screw: 2.50 Keeper: 2.72. Nut: 4.50.  Regular reel: .81, 1.00, 2.25.

akfish

Is your spectra slipping on the spool? If you didn't tape it or back it with mono, I'll bet that is the problem.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Reinaard van der Vossen

Quote from: Ken_D on August 21, 2011, 06:47:48 PM
Hi. Looks like the reel was made in week 41 of year 2008, (sometime in october) designed in year 2007.  Is it possible it's been parked on somebody's shelf for 3 years, allowing all the tramp oil and grease inside to migrate, and contaminate the drag washers?

In the round 4-5-6-7-10 reels, _sold locally_, the washers are contaminated after sitting on the retail shelf for only a few months....after coming from a warehouse somewhere, parked there, for however long.  

I'd first give Purefishing a call, 1-800-abugarcia, follow the prompts to reels, and explain your situation.

Sidebar: Abu's quite proud of the keeper, keeper screw, and handle nut on your piece. Over double the cost for the same stuff on a round reel. Screw: 2.50 Keeper: 2.72. Nut: 4.50.  Regular reel: .81, 1.00, 2.25.

Ken,

would that mean that cleaning the drag washers would solve the problem?

As I understood the quality of the washers itself should be ok. I think they are already carbontex washers

Akfish, I used mono backing to fill up the spool with a topshot of 150 meters 0.12 mm spiderwire ultracast invisi braid

wallacewt

i had a similar problem with  a trion b/c and added an extra bell/washer.problem solved.

redsetta

x2 on Wallace's post - I had a similar problem with a Calcutta...
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

the spool could be slipping on the shaft, the spectra could be slipping on the spool, or the star could be bottoming out. there aren't many more possibilities that that......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Reinaard van der Vossen

Hello Alan.  The spectra is not slipping on the spool and has a mono backing. The spool slipping on the shaft? It should as it has bearings but I guess you mean something else. It looks like the star is bottoming out but if the bad drag (i.e 2-3 lbs) is caused by contaminated washers than the problem would be the washers  right?

maybe, because the reel is brandnew right out of the box I should not fiddle with it and just return it

Ken_D

Hi. I'd still just call Purefishing, if you yourself are not into going inside the reel. Your hour and materiels to repair yourself, can be weighed against the 6.00 in stamps and the downtime while the reel is getting looked at.  1-800-abugarcia.

From all suggestions so far, it's sounding more and more like the bellevilles are installed wrong, or the washers are crudded up with non-drag grease/oil.  They may attach a service fee, but usually they don't, especially after you tell them you just got the product. You can ask about that if you call.

Reinaard van der Vossen

Thanks for the help. In the end I decide that I probably could do it but that there is a slight change that it it is not the washers and that the reel should work more or less as advertised. I have sent it back.