Pfleuger Contender G50

Started by Hardy Boy, May 22, 2018, 03:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Boy

Well a commercial fisherman buddy wanted a rod and reel for jigging when and if he had time. It needed to be reel for a little use and it would stay on the boat in who knows what conditions so I had a Contender G50 hanging around that I had fixed up (a guy gave it too me and it had 100 lb braid on it) and an older okuma rod. He was happy and off he went. Well I see him the other day and he says the rod has a busted eye and the reel needs a service. I asked how the reel was working (thinking he fished for bottom fish a few times) and he said it worked great and that he has caught well over 100 albacore tuna with it while commercial fishing !!! I said that reel is not made for that abuse. He also said it would be nicer to get a reel that is easier to reel in the fish because he continues to troll at 6 knots while reeling them in !!! The reel held up great even the level wind !!!! with a little service and grease its ready to go.................................... I'm impressed.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

gstours

Thanks for the post.  You both did great.👍. 100 albys might get him a next better reel? Up here people abuse their stuff so bad it's a wonder that the reels work butt still do,  even after complaining nothing gets fixed.   That's hard core.   Just another way of life..   the stories the Reels could tell?🤔
   We all could pitch in and donate a reel if we knew what his needs are.   I've got plenty of reels if you give me a idea.   The main thing is they would be used.   Thanks?💁‍♂️

Hardy Boy

Gary: He would use it for sure, he likes to troll one rod while commercial fishing for tuna. He also likes to have a rod for jigging or what ever. The main issue is the gear does not get treated with loving care. He broke the eye on his rod again and I asked what happened and he said "he fishermaned it". I was thinking a 113H or something might be good. I showed him my international two speeds and he liked them but I shudder to see what one would look like after a year. Tough, easy to fix and not expensive is what he needs. I serviced up the G50 greased the drag washers and it is good to go. He could use another reel as mentioned .......................... thoughts?

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

swill88

I'm thinking Daiwa 400 or 450.

Steve