Cedros Sport Fishing, September 2-6, 2019

Started by alantani, August 07, 2018, 02:04:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkT

My best day at Cedros I caught 26 YT. If I YT = 1 cerveza... OMG!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Hardy Boy

That would be a little better than an average day, remember that's Mexican beer ............. so its Ok to start at sun up.

Scrinch: leave the bad habits to your room mate ........................... just bring ear plugs !!

Cheers and bottoms up !!:

Todd
Todd

scrinch

Todd, I've been meaning to mention my favorite use of last year's yellowtail. While marinated in vinaigrette and lightly bbq'ed was fantastic, my favorite is smoked and then flaked and mixed with mayo, chopped onions, and chopped celery...served like a tuna sandwich. It's delicious smoked, but a little dry. This adds moisture back while keeping that smoky flavor.  Would go perfectly with a few of those Tecates this way!

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

SoCalAngler

One of the keys to good smoked YT IMO is to keep the skin on. There is a thin fat layer between the skin and meat which will keep the fish moister.

Edit to Brine Mix
Sorry for the mixup I just checked my notes for the brine.
In a blender 1/2 cup Kosher salt blend to almost powder
1 lb brown sugar blend well together with salt
Fill the blender full with water and mix for several minutes more
Depending on how much fish you smoke you may need to do the above twice or more
Pour mixture over fish in a large pan or pot, I use a large pot I use for canning
Stir fish every 3 or so hours to make sure the bring penetrates evenly
Let sit in the frig 8-10 hours or longer, I do this over night.
Take fish out of the brine and rinse with fresh cool water.
Here if you want is the time to add seasons like chili flakes, garlic powder, lemon, lime or orange on the meat side.
Key #2 place fish on a rack skin side down and let fish dry until opaque. No wet or shiny parts on the fillets. I use a fan to speed up the drying process and it keeps flies off of the fish.
Key #3 use a more mild smoke, I like Alder wood. IMO Marquisette or Hickory is too strong but each his own here. 2-3 pans of wood only, depending if you go with chunks or the more sawdust type styles of smoking wood.
Key #4 low and slow. Low temps and hours works best. I smoke my fish for about 4-6 hours depending on the fillets thickness. For me to test when it is time for the fish to come out of the smoker I bend a fillet and when it breaks slowly the fish is done. If it cracks open quickly IMO the fish is over cooked, not bad but more like fish jerky once it cools and dryer to the mouth. This part is a learning process so play with the texture and flavor how you like.
Now if your going to bag the smoked fish or seal it up and freeze it put the fillets into the frig uncovered until they cool fully. I should of added I let the smoked fish come to room temp before it goes into the frig. If you bag it sooner you most likely will get condensation in the bag and when you bring the fish room temp still in the bag it will be a bit slimy. You could let it air dry until the dampness goes away from the fillets but this takes time so if you wait a while until the fish is fully chilled you won't have the the slimy issue and a much better product.

Just like anything else this will take time to prefect, so if you want to impress your friends do a few batches until you have it fully dialed in. I have been doing this maybe 25 years and every once in a while I will have a batch that I won't share with others do them not being up to my standards, so never let the word out you have smoked fish until it passes what you think is good.

Edit: And there is no reason it go with a high tech smoker. These pics were taken several years ago and the inside is now much darker with a deep brown patina.

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Hardy Boy

That sounds great ! I have a bunch of salmon candy to smoke up so I will have a go at some yellow tail also. I will report back on my results.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

gstours

Thanks for the recipe,  and was wondering how you keep your smoker so clean?🐟🤣

Dominick

Socal is that an opening on the bottom?  Does it vent at the top?  Nice set up.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Hardy Boy

ONE MONTH TO GO !!! Starting to get some stuff together. Want to do a little more deep dropping this time. Fishing reports have been good .................... lets hope it keeps up or turns on when we get there. Mook and Pete see you at the airport ??

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

MarkT

Deep drop?  YoYo iron or dropper loop?  It seemed that last year we mostly slow trolled although I threw surface iron too.

This year I'm taking...

Bass:  TranX 300 on a smx82mh... plastics and hard baits
Surface Iron:  TranX 500 on a psw909xhj
YT:  Saltiga 40ld2 w/50# on a phd760xh... bait & yoyo

Hardy Boy

Deep drop with bait so dropper loop or not (I used a slider BC style). Mook and I did some drops one afternoon and did great: YT, pinto bass and calico. There has to be grouper spots around as Chevo showed us pictures with him and a commercial panga guy with some big ones. Did not try heavy yoyo irons at the same spot.

Todd
Todd

MarkT

Grouper and White Sea Bass will hit a dropper loop or sliding sinker rig... halibut too.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Dominick on May 18, 2019, 05:18:50 AM
Socal is that an opening on the bottom?  Does it vent at the top?  Nice set up.  Dominick

Sorry Dom I never saw this until now.

That vent looking thing at the top is how the cooling system worked, it is not a thru vent' I did drill 12 3/4" holes for venting. 3 on the top on both the left and right sides then did the same thing at the bottom.

If you look at the last pic you can see 4 of the holes toward the bottom on the left and right.

Hardy Boy

Mark: I'm down "down" for some deep droping. Fun to catch different species. I will PM you with some Cedros rod questions.

Todd
Todd