Cedros Sport Fishing, September 2-6, 2019

Started by alantani, August 07, 2018, 02:04:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

natch!

Hey Mark, Who in SD stocks the MC Viejos?

Jack

MarkT

I think you can get them at Anglers Choice on Rosecrans.  I get them at the Longfin up in Orange.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SoCalAngler

Big Hammer, Fish Trap and other plastics will work also if you don't find the MC's in the colors or sizes your looking for.

MarkT

I was going to bring some 5" swimbaits and leadheads for people to use. Looks like most of the swimmies  I'm bringing are MC Viejos. The lead heads are mostly 1.5oz so bring your own if you want to go lighter.

natch!

I have some big hammers but wanted to try some 7" Viejos.
I wonder if it might be a good idea to spend the first afternoon targeting Calicos and the misc. species. The reports from last year make it sound like it was very slow fishing for YT that first afternoon.

Jack

scrinch

Quote from: natch! on August 02, 2019, 11:03:10 PM
...I wonder if it might be a good idea to spend the first afternoon targeting Calicos and the misc. species. The reports from last year make it sound like it was very slow fishing for YT that first afternoon.
Jack

That's a good idea. The pangueros didn't think we had time to make bait the first day last year, so we slow-trolled rapalas and threw iron for little action. If we have no bait the first day this year, why not use plastics for calico? Unless of course they say that there aren't many calico around.

MarkT

ldoret94

Tood,

Think Mook already has your flight info, if not please provide and we'll pick you up at the airport.

Pete

SoCalAngler

For the checkerboards I like something with red flake. Color patterns like Big Hammer's Red Calico Hunter and I have been doing well here in So Cal with the Senorita pattern.

Good luck guys

OneDay

HI Guys,

I just returned this morning from a 6 day at Cedros and wanted to let you know what worked for us to help out for when we get together in a few weeks for an amazing trip. 

What worked:

the early morning is key.  Yellowtail bite shuts off basically after 9am.  You may pick up 1 or 2 after that but slow.  today was our last day and my son, a friend and I picked up 17 quality YT in 2.5 hours on a combination of live mackerel and throwing jigs. 

The afternoons are generally very slow for YT although you can pick at calicos. 

You need to bring a few sabikis.  The captain like small size 6 or 8.  As Rich said if you use a heavy weight 8-12 ounce you avoid the dreaded sabiki tangle. 

Line - nothing under 40.  I used up to 60 for trolling mackerel for YT or dropper looping.  Flouro is not needed for YT but may be useful if tuna are in Sept.  Bring 40-50. 

Hooks - I just have used Mustad 94150 last couple of years in 5/0 and they have been great. 

Calicos - bring some 6-8 ounce type megabaits or colt snipers (pink, blue and chrome is great).  They like to fish the calicos at 60-120 ft on reefs and you can't get down with your swimbaits.  I actually put red plastics on my dropper loop rig to get down and slayed big calicos.  The captain thought it was funny as he hadn't seen it before. 

Yellowtail - we were trolling live mackerel and slinging jigs.  Yoyo type like Salas 6X - blue/white, scrambled egg, mint.  we didn't use any rapala type trolling lures but a couple years ago we used those instead of the mackerel.

Dropper loop rig.   see the following.

We were fishing for calico and my son caught a 120# (est) black seabass on a colt sniper, an Okuma PCH and an Okuma Komodo with 40#.  Crazy.  We released on the year before but decided to keep this one.  We only kept fish 2 of the 6 days we fished and released everything else. 

Look forward to seeing you all there in a few weeks.  It is a very special place!

OneDay

My other attachments

OneDay

another picture

OneDay

another picture

OneDay

I forgot, rods and reels.

I will bring  the following:

a fathom 25nLD for trolling mackerel

a fathom 40 NLD for dropper loop

an okuma 463 on an 8ft PCH rod for sabiki, throwing light iron, calicos, etc.

an 8ft makiara rod with a penn torque 30 with 40 lb line for also throwing jigs

That should take care of it.  Look forward to fishing with you guys soon.

Cheers,

Ed

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!