Int 30 binding when winding

Started by UKChris, August 08, 2018, 04:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UKChris

I bought a used Int II 30, single speed. It looks like new. Internally it is equally good with the gears showing no signs of wear and all bearings being nice and smooth. I stripped it down and re-greased everything. But, now when I wind, the gears appear to bind when the handle goes through the 4 o'clock position - the rest of the winding circle is fine.

I don't remember it doing that before but I might have missed it in my enthusiasm to get started with the screwdriver! This isn't the first Int. I've serviced so it isn't because I really messed up (I hope!) in reassembling it.

Obviously something is not aligned properly and my first instinct is to take the main gear off the handle shaft and rotate it 180 degrees and re-install. Before I do that, has anyone encountered this problem before and is there another answer that I'm missing? Thanks...

Chris

alantani

likely a small piece of junk in the teeth of the main gear....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tightlines667

Since it is occurring at the same rotational location relative to the handle, not the spool you know its related to the maingear or drive shaft.  You can pull the plate off, clean the gear, and examine the teeth under magnification focusing on those that contact the pinion gear when the handle approaches that 4 oclock position.  If there is gear damage such as maring, chipped/broken/or hairline crack in a tooth you should be able to determine where it is.  If you simply rotate the gear 90deg and reassemble and the position of the binding changes this tells you its the main gear.  If it stays at the same handle location irrespective of which teeth are contacting the pinion at this position, its something else (marring or bent drive shaft for instance?)  If its a bad main, I woupd try just replacing the one bad gear, since, in my experience with these reels, international gear sets can be pricy, and the pinions actually don't wear (or get dsmaged) as quickly as the mains.  If the gears are fine another possability is there is too much play between the drive shaft and the bushing it rides in causing it to bind.  This might require a new shaft or sideplate.  Shaft play in and out of the sideplate can be tightened by shimming, laterial play in the shaft can not. 

Do a bit more troubleshooting here.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

UKChris

Apologies for the long silence and thank you for your thoughts. I was fishing!
I have a whole load of reels now to wash clean and service after a lovely week at sea.
Once they are out of the way I'll tear down this 30 and let you know what comes of it.

UKChris

Just an update. Took the reel apart at the weekend. Gears look fine and dandy (used the 10X jeweller's loupe I use when aligning fountain pen nibs). When reassembling, I moved the main gear 1/3 the way round with respect to the shaft by changing the hole line-up where the three screws fit. The result is an improvement. It isn't perfect but the gears now turn smoothly. I'll try moving round another 1/3 (if I can remember which way round I went!) and if that fixes it, I'll leave it there.

If the problem remains, I'll start swapping bits from another Int. 30 that is very smooth, but has other issues, to produce one excellent reel and one dog. Might be a long day...

As ever, thanks for the help chaps.

Donnyboat

Have a good look were you dismantled it last time Chris, you may have blowen some shims out with air pressure, thinking it was all grease, I was caught like that with the first few reels I serviced, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Penn

Confirm the handle blank isn't hitting the preset during every handle revolution.  If the handle gets slightly bent it will hit the preset every turn.

tony