Cleaning up screw holes in Penn International

Started by Whit, August 08, 2018, 10:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whit

Friends:

Working on a bar model 50,  FINALLY got the sideplate screws all out with a combination of penetrating fluid, a screwdriver I have nicknamed "the persuader", and some righteous body English and cussing.   The steel to aluminum metal to metal contact had corroded the screws in place inside the threaded sideplates.   

Question:  How to best clean up the sideplate holes - they are threaded for a reason which I fully appreciate, so I am loathe to just drill them out.

Thanks in advance!

Oh yeah, when I get the new screws they are going to be the star or torx ones!!!!!

alantani

this little guy was torched and still took 20 minutes.  just add grease to the screw and a little to the screw hole.  no need to clean it out.  grease alone will work fine. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

UKChris

'swat I've learned here - grease is your friend, my friend. I now open up every new reel and grease all screw holes before that reel gets to see the sea for the first time. I have a Ti 50wLRS awaiting the grease treatment as you can't rely on anyone at any factory to do it for you.