Meaning of 9lbs at strike 14 lbs at full ?

Started by Natarach, June 21, 2018, 02:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

Ok guys just did some testing with my newer model SX. I set the drag at 8 lbs at strike, then when I then moved the lever just barely past strike I got right around 10-10.5 lbs of drag. I tried testing half way from strike to full and get around 14 lbs, this number varies a bit due to not getting the lever in the exact position every time. At full I'm getting right around 16.5-17 lbs.

I did this test several times just to make sure the numbers I was getting did not vary.

So as you can see in this reel and just like most other lever drag reels the drag pressure ramps up way faster after you move the lever past strike.

Edit: I did my testing with a new Chatillon 50 lb spring scale that I calibrated before hand with a known 25 lb weight source and tested the scale again after the reel test with the same 25 lb weight source to make sure the scale had not changed, which it had not.

Natarach

Quote from: SoCalAngler on June 22, 2018, 08:17:39 PM
Ok guys just did some testing with my newer model SX. I set the drag at 8 lbs at strike, then when I then moved the lever just barely past strike I got right around 10-10.5 lbs of drag. I tried testing half way from strike to full and get around 14 lbs, this number varies a bit due to not getting the lever in the exact position every time. At full I'm getting right around 16.5-17 lbs.

I did this test several times just to make sure the numbers I was getting did not vary.

So as you can see in this reel and just like most other lever drag reels the drag pressure ramps up way faster after you move the lever past strike.

Edit: I did my testing with a new Chatillon 50 lb spring scale that I calibrated before hand with a known 25 lb weight source and tested the scale again after the reel test with the same 25 lb weight source to make sure the scale had not changed, which it had not.

Thank you this is very good info for Avet user

mahfudzmn

Quote from: Donnyboat on June 21, 2018, 06:44:12 PM
Yes Chris, we tend to get carried away with carbon fibre drag gear, looking for higher drag numbers, when really we should be looking for, smoother drags that dont wear out, to heavier drag, and you fine something has to give aventualy, cheers Don.

Ding ding ding!!! This is what's it is all about. I go for smoothness over power, anyday anytime!

mahfudzmn

Now to answer the question

Avet's one of the best manufacturer when it comes to given specs especially the drag power. What S 9.0 and F 14.0lbs means is usually with your drag preset at Max Free Spool, this is the number you'll get. But there's a few variables in place; condition, wear n tear, compressibility of the drag washer (especially with glue in play at the drag washer in the modern gens). So the numbers are more of a guideline. You'll get some variation as explained by a few members here

I would say always set your drag with the max number you need at Full position so you'll never overdrag, but this could some time result is lower than desired at Strike. In this case you're probably underclassed in the reel size. But some do set the desired drag at Strike, and they stay at Strike and never push to Full to avoid damage. The preference is yours, but do keep in mind that if you go over the recommended rating, you'll be more likely to bust the pinion bearing.

I also see a lot more SX size have problems with the pinion bearing, two reasons; sometimes it's pure mistake of owners trying to get more out of a small reel, or it could also be the drag preset should be set some few clicks looser than Max Free Spool.

I'm investigating one SX at the moment, the owner has busted the pinion bearing twice, so this time I wanna find out what's the real cause. Will update if I find anything interesting.