114h clicker gear

Started by TongassFisher, August 09, 2018, 05:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TongassFisher

Not sure if this is the correct term but I'm referring to the toothed gear that engages the clicker (see pics).

So I've been told not to do this but I drop down when halibut fishing with the clicker on to control the speed of the drop, I do this so that I can walk away from my rod in the holder which allows me to help others setup to fish. Takes time to drop 300 ft.

So in just 4 trips this year I've completly worn down the clicker gear. I've been fishing this way for years now and this has never happened to any of my other reels which have many more hours of fishing time than this 114h.

Any thoughts? I'd like to try and salvage the aluminum spool and purchase just the clicker gear/sprocket?

I'm not seeing it as a part on the Penn schematics? Is replacing it even an option?
B4718_AC0_0_A22_48_D3_A823_69_D5758_B7_AB7" border="0
F3_F3_AF6_B_77_AB_4009_9_EA7_D71190_D40_BA8" border="0

TongassFisher

Oh and I should add that this reel used to be my grandfathers. When he gave it to me it had been fished hard and originally came with a chromed brass spool which was warped. I pulled off the brass spool, serviced the reel and installed the aluminum spool just before this fishing season.

alantani

yeah, this one doesn't look fixable.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

TongassFisher

Quote from: alantani on August 09, 2018, 06:42:56 PM
yeah, this one doesn't look fixable.....   :-\

Bummer so I should just buy a new spool then?

alantani

if you absolutely must have a clicker, then yes.  do you really need a clicker.  i virtually never use one. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

TongassFisher

hmm, I sure like having a clicker!

I have a Chinese 114h2sp coming from Rudy. I'll just fish the piss out of it and use this 114h as a parts reel i guess.

Thanks for the help Alan.

Trevor

mizmo67

The ratchet is part of the spool, so it's not something you can buy unfortunately. :(
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Swami805

Keep an eye on the big auction site for a used spool. They come up here and there. Shame to junk the reel,some good juju on that one. Maybe some on here has a decent used one
Do what you can with that you have where you are

RowdyW

Usually the clicker gear is hardened & the tongue is not heat treated so that it wears out before the gear & is replaceable. You might try opening the gap slightly on the spring to put a little less tension of the tongue on the gear. It's just trial & error. Replacing the spool in Grampa's reel is a better option then using it for a parts reel. By the way an H2 spool will fit that reel & is cheaper then an H spool. An H spool will only fit in a H2 reel if you shorten the right side of the shaft .060". Easily done with a file.        Rudy

1badf350

Trever I think this is a 114H spool. If it will work for you I will give it to you. Just send me your mailing address
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Swami805

The Ohana won't let granpa's reel hit the scrape heap!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

TongassFisher

Quote from: 1badf350 on August 09, 2018, 10:11:52 PM
Trever I think this is a 114H spool. If it will work for you I will give it to you. Just send me your mailing address

Man thank you I would love to get that spool for this 6/0. I'll message you my address.

Thanks everyone

Trevor