CA. Tomatoes

Started by Alto Mare, August 10, 2018, 02:03:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Yes Joe it's the perfect spot. Those get a full 12 hour of sun light during summer and the bricks radiate lots of heat in the evening.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

You know your stuff Sal. Ruth and I were small time hobby farmers for about 12 years. We grew most vegetables that we could plant in 3/4 Acres. We caned 20-30 cases a season, no more though it just got to be to much for us.

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Mattman NZ

Nice Tom's Sal here's a pic of min from last December - I turn mine into a pasta sauce with onions and garlic for the winter but its just too darn yummy .lol

Rgds

Matt...

Shark Hunter

My personal crop didn't do that well this year.
However, I work with some farmers that keep me well supplied.
I eat at leat 10 a week. ;)
BLT's, on Bologna, With cottage cheese or just plain. I love them.

Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Thanks guys.
Matt, I've been growing tomatoes for a long time and have never seen a tomato plant as the one you're showing.

I think I see 60 tomatoes on one plant, this is crazy. I had cherry tomatoes do the same, but never full size as you're showing.
Very nice variety.

When my Mom was still with us, around this time of year the front porch would be packed with bushels of Roma tomato from Jersey, well over 100 at times.
We never paid a penny, Maybe they knew they would get good meals, she used to cook for the entire neighbourhood.

Even the butcher used to leave the store and hand deliver her meat. I remember him asking her if it looked good and was afraid while doing so :).
She was 4' tall, but very powerful, me and my 4 brothers kept a straight line. :)

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Hey Sal, the bottom 6 or 7 inches of my tomato plants are turning brown.  What is going on?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Minicuccio, I'm not sure what's going on weather wise in your neck of the woods, but mine do the same when we get temperatures above normal. It is a natural reaction for the plant while trying to survive.

Sal

Reel 224

Sal: as you probably already know the leaves that are on the ground can be pruned back about a good 6" off the ground. That will help. Also we pruned off the suckers as the tomato's grow. I'm not trying to be a know it all, just my learning from my Father.

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Alto Mare

Not at all Joe, it is good to give information. I personally already know about keeping leaves away from the dirt and pruning back suckers, but there might be some that don't.

I got some dough from trader's Joe, they have one of the best dough for pizza. If I'm not too tired tomorrow I will be making some Margherita with these nice tomatoes, I already have some nice fresh mozzarella.

Sal

Reel 224

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 21, 2018, 12:15:53 AM
Not at all Joe, it is good to give information. I personally already know about keeping leaves away from the dirt and pruning back suckers, but there might be some that don't.

I got some dough from trader's Joe, they have one of the best dough for pizza. If I'm not too tired tomorrow I will be making some Margherita with these nice tomatoes, I already have some nice fresh mozzarella.

Sal

Uh is that an invitation?  ;) ;D......................................Joe

gstours

Hope and prayers,  here are some Alaska tomatoes 🍅.  Slow growing.  Butt tasty.👍

Dominick

Quote from: gstours on August 27, 2018, 04:57:26 PM
Hope and prayers,  here are some Alaska tomatoes 🍅.  Slow growing.  Butt tasty.👍

Hey butt man did you mean to post some pictures?  If so they are in the post.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

gstours

Hey Dominick,  something went wrong.  I'll try it again.

gstours

These were started from commercial seed.   We need more heat.  Butt have no forest fire danger.☔️🍅

Alto Mare

Very nice Gary, I didn't know you could grow tomatoes up there.

Mine are late this year, but coming along

Made a couple of Margherita and were delicious

Sal