Surfcasting for Cabezon

Started by the rockfish ninja, August 11, 2018, 06:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theswimmer

There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: swill88 on August 12, 2018, 01:24:32 AM
Quote from: the rockfish ninja on August 11, 2018, 08:15:26 PM
Quote from: bhale1 on August 11, 2018, 01:58:52 PM
Congrats on your PB from shore! Now we know why your the "rockfish ninja" ;D.
Brett

.... those aren't swords ... they're surf rods. ;D

That beach looks familiar!   Now I know your spot. :D
steve

Be very careful if you decide to invade it, as you can see I have a deadly ninja team protecting these precious spots.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

Steve-O

Very nice Cabezon. I have yet to catch one in Alaska in 20 trips. The challenge being that Salmon, halibut, lingcod and yelloweye are the only targeted species when I go out on a lodge boat so my few boat trips have been for the target species.

I asked the lodge owner in 2016 if we could swing by where I knew they were hanging out and he said sure if we have time. The opportunity never happened. I'm going to see if the son-in-law will help me set up the skiff to use and I may get a chance at them.

Decker

Surfcasting rocks! Very interesting fish!   "Cabezon" means "big head" in Spanish.  Initially it looks a bit like our sea robin from the East Coast.   See robins are considered trash fish by most, but I hear they are very tasty, and plan to eat one at the next opportunity.   Wikipedia seems to suggest that these two fish might be related, but I'm too weak on the nomenclature to explain how they are related.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabezon_(fish)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triglidae

steelfish

nice fish amigo ninja

dont you love unexpected fish caught from the beach/rocks?

The Baja Guy

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: Decker on August 14, 2018, 04:47:45 PM
Surfcasting rocks! Very interesting fish!   "Cabezon" means "big head" in Spanish.  Initially it looks a bit like our sea robin from the East Coast.   See robins are considered trash fish by most, but I hear they are very tasty, and plan to eat one at the next opportunity.   Wikipedia seems to suggest that these two fish might be related, but I'm too weak on the nomenclature to explain how they are related.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabezon_(fish)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triglidae

Not related at all, Cabezon is in the sculpin family, but I do hear sea robins are good to eat. I used to catch them back east but they were so ugly and the weird legs underneath them put me off, so I never tried them. Caught a bunch though.

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: steelfish on August 14, 2018, 05:02:53 PM
nice fish amigo ninja

dont you love unexpected fish caught from the beach/rocks?

I actually was targeting them, rockfish & Lingcod, so it wasn't "unexpected", catching my personal best was.

steelfish

Quote from: Gfish on August 11, 2018, 07:22:00 PM
She cooked it whole with the head,  .......... The friend really freaked, lookin at the head we were about eat! A yelp of surprise and disgust and she Left oudda there in a hurry!

wondering what had happened if she had seen a big YT in the center of the table as main dish, dont look at the eyes, those are mine !!  ;D

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=22721.0

The Baja Guy

Gfish

Nice and juicy looking! Don't skip the brain Alex. Different taste, but good.
I remember that Mexican horror movie: Brainiac, from back in the early '60's. Funny, some of the stuff that sticks in your memory.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

steelfish

Quote from: Gfish on November 12, 2021, 09:09:31 PM
Nice and juicy looking! Don't skip the brain Alex. Different taste, but good.

I havent tried fish brains at least not on purpose  ;D ;D
but you can bet I enjoy Cow brains, hey dont look at me like that  :D

you dont waste anything from the Cow head when you see a someone made one of the most traditional tacos "tacos de cabeza de res" (cow's head BBQ tacos)
The Baja Guy

philaroman

I see that nice slice of tongue in the center
food that looks back at you is not enough, it has to taste you back, too  :o

the rockfish ninja

After seeing Alex's roasted heads I don't feel so bad now.

When I filleted that cabbie out I took the decapitated head, rubbed it down with olive oil & garlic and roasted it in the oven. There was all kinds of meat and the cheeks were heavenly, a salad and some sourdough made it a full meal.

Pero no me como los ojos  .......... :-X

steelfish

Quote from: the rockfish ninja on November 13, 2021, 12:29:58 AM
Pero no me como los ojos  .......... :-X

::) ::) ;D ;D :D  ............you should !!

the eyes of small fish up to 3-4# have a bitter taste, but eyes from grouper, YT and similar or bigger sized fish have enough meat and cartilage around the hard shell of fish eyes, smooth flavor, never fishy, peel the hard shell of the eye off and you will still have some meat left add two drops of lemon juice and two drops of your favorite hot sauce and go !!! you will thank me later

The Baja Guy

Ron Jones

Nothing wrong with a cabbie from the waves! Ted and I see them about that size up shallow from time to time, I love catching them.
Congratulations!

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"