Lever drag reel’s initial drag

Started by calcal, August 11, 2018, 09:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calcal

This may be silly question but I would like to get any idea where to start to fix the reel. I opened couple of star drag baitcasting reel, but never open up the lever drag reel before.

I recently purchased 2 lever drag reels (Posidon mini 150R) in Thailand trip. One for myself and the other for fishing mate. After I get the braid line on these, I notice one reel's initial drag is way stronger than the other when I set the weakest drag (by turning drag adjustment knob counterclock wise) and set the lever to strike position. It is about 3 lb vs 12 lb when I put the scale.

I am not sure why exact same brand model reels have such a different initial drag. Where should I look at it to adjust the weakest initial drag?

Any input will be appreciated.

Calvin

alantani

any chance you have braid that is slipping on the spool?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

calcal

I tested with thumb on the side of spool as well so I do not think it is not caused by slipping on the spool.

alantani

put a small dot on the spool with a sharpie marker and pull, just to make sure.  sometimes it's hard to see, but this is the cause in the vast majority of cases.   :-\

calcal

Just tested as you suggested. I can say for sure now it is not slipping braid.

Alto Mare

Try Loosening the pre set screw on the lever and back in all the way to freespool, tighten it a little, while in freespool and see if that helps.  You might need to check if the spring washers on the spool shaft are the same on both.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

crud.  that means it's an internal issue and has to come apart.  is that something you'll be able to do? 

calcal

I opened up star drag baitcasting reel a couple of times  to clean up but never try with lever drag. I will try this week and let you know. Is there any good tool I can remove E clip easily?

alantani

the tip of an old knife has always worked best for me.  i have one dedicated for that because it ruins the blade.  cover it carefully because it will fly!

calcal

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 12, 2018, 03:11:54 AM
Try Loosening the pre set screw on the lever and back in all the way to freespool, tighten it a little, while in freespool and see if that helps.  You might need to check if the spring washers on the spool shaft are the same on both.

Sal

Could you please tell me which part I need to look at it from below diagram?

Alto Mare

I do not see spring washers on this model, but basically it's the same concept. You will need to take it apart and make sure everything is in the correct order, also if all the parts are all there.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

SoCalAngler

Have you tried adjusting the drag preset knob? It's part 021 in the picture. Back off the lever to freespool/out of gear. Turn the knob clockwise like 1/4 of a turn then put the reel into gear and see if the drag has increased, On your reel it looks like you will need a screwdriver or coin that fits into the slot on that knob to make adjustments.

These adjustments should be done in freespool and clockwise to increase drag and counter clockwise to decrease drag.

calcal

Quote from: SoCalAngler on August 12, 2018, 05:08:34 PM
Have you tried adjusting the drag preset knob? It's part 021 in the picture. Back off the lever to freespool/out of gear. Turn the knob clockwise like 1/4 of a turn then put the reel into gear and see if the drag has increased, On your reel it looks like you will need a screwdriver or coin that fits into the slot on that knob to make adjustments.

These adjustments should be done in freespool and clockwise to increase drag and counter clockwise to decrease drag.

Tried as you suggested, however, drag preset knob did not affect the drag when I adjusted as you described. I even pull it out but no difference.

handi2

I'm sure it is a manufacture's problem. The other sounds right.

I'm still trying to find their 9+2 bearings.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

calcal

I agree with you. I never heard this brand before until I visited tackle shop in Thailand. I guess that was why the price was good.