Senator stats/abilities

Started by TongassFisher, August 12, 2018, 07:40:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TongassFisher

Anyone willing to throw out numbers as to what they have seen from the senators series of reels?

1) usable drag #s/lbs
2) max fishable drag #s before the stock brass sleeve rounds?
3) max fishable drag #s before the brass main gear shreds teeth?

Am I missin anything? It appears from what I've read on AT that these are the main issues when pushing a reel to the limits?

It would be nice to get this info on the 112h, 113h, 114h, 9/0, 10/0, 12/0, 14/0 and the Chinese H2 series models if applicable?

I'm sure these questions have been answered many times in hundreds of different threads, might be nice to have it all in one place?

I know I'd like a place to reference this data. Helps me when I'm thinking about the direction I plan to go with the service/rebuild of a reel I come across. If I plan to really push a reel to the max it helps me know what parts I might want to upgrade and in what order I should go with the upgrades.

Thanks

Trevor

RowdyW

It's all about what you are going to use it for & how much you want to spend. On the H2 models if you change to a ss gear sleeve & dog ( a #1 mod) you will have to use the H screw on the end of the sleeve. Drags can be upgraded with the insert & versa style drags (#2 mod). I would go with the #1 mod & fish it to see if you will need more. Try fishing it first as is & see if you think you need more. Your 114H2 is a very capeable reel for bottom fishing where you are. Pulling up butts from the bottom is a lot easier with the original gear ratio then an aftermarket higher ratio gear set. In your hunt you might want to see if you can locate an original heat treated steel gear in like new condition. Don't worry about the bronze main gear it can take a lot of strain well beyond the original drags.            Rudy

handi2

That would be an excellent resource for all of us.

Most gear sleeves round off because the handle nut it loose or the handle used doesn't fit tight.

Most bronze gear sets I see get worn over time. You can see by looking down at the teeth that they get stretched out and pointed. On the smaller reeels they get stripped along with pinion gear breakage.

Then there's the end user. Some people lock them down and leave it. Some have enough knowledge to take care of them.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

ez2cdave

Has any more research been done on this ?

Tight Lines !

handi2

Like posted above the only time a stock gear sleeve gets stripped its from a loose handle nut or a loose fitting handle. Hopefully someone else that has seen one strip will chime in.

In the charter business ive seen plenty of stripped bronze gears. Mostly 4/0's and under.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL