Knobby mag for Avet

Started by the rockfish ninja, August 13, 2018, 06:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the rockfish ninja

I love my Avets but there are a couple design flaws I would change. The handle knob I always swap out to a round jigging knob (I wish taking off the stock knob were easier, I've gotten Alan to zap them off the last 2 I purchased), the clicker (which I never use) is just pathetic, but most of all the MC switch is a bit hard to adjust on the water due to it's low profile and polished finish. I've noticed a couple of pics out on the web of home cooked knobs and the web sources didn't go into too much detail, but I was wondering if anybody here had a line on something better. (or a tutorial on something equal)

Deadly Sebastes assassin.

xjchad

I make an adjustable mag kit.  $30 for the kit or $55 installed.

Husband, Father, Fisherman

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: xjchad on August 13, 2018, 06:48:21 PM
I make an adjustable mag kit.  $30 for the kit or $55 installed.

Is that a mag kit for a non-MC Avet?
I'm only looking to replace the control knob only as my unit has the MC cast magnet.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

xjchad

This kit does not replace or add to the MC version, it would be installed on a non-MC version.
I can probably adapt one of my knobs to the MC version you have though.

DaveC

Quote from: xjchad on August 13, 2018, 11:01:43 PM
This kit does not replace or add to the MC version, it would be installed on a non-MC version.

How do I get one?

xjchad

Quote from: DaveC on July 08, 2019, 06:51:06 AM
Quote from: xjchad on August 13, 2018, 11:01:43 PM

How do I get one?

I PM'd you Dave.

MarkT

Avets have pathetic, worthless clickers!  I don't know why they even bother.  Anyone have an upgrade for them?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SoCalAngler

Quote from: MarkT on July 08, 2019, 03:53:27 PM
Avets have pathetic, worthless clickers!  I don't know why they even bother.  Anyone have an upgrade for them?

Yep the clicker is weak. Avet has 2 designs (well really 3 but the first design was discontinued early on) for their click pin, The older model has 2 springs and the newer has one. The only way I think you can make the clicker louder is to replace those springs with stiffer ones. I don't know if the newer design with one spring will work on the older models or if that spring is any stiffer. Maybe call AVET to see if the newer springs are in fact stiffer. If so maybe you could order a set and see it that makes the clicker any louder?

Rivverrat

The clicker on my newly acquired HXJ Raptor is usable. Better than the clickers I've seen on some other Avet models.

I would however like it louder. I did notice it is noticeably louder when cranking vs in free spool. I'm thinking a double pin & spring might work.

First improvement I made was to get rid of the magnet in the MC.  I dont need a computer to back up or park my truck & in the past 35 years I've never desired help with basic casting.

The magic cast made the reel almost unusable for me.

With that said, for my fishing needs I absolutely love this reel. This is a reel I've been looking for. Fantastic heavy reel for the rivers I fish.. Jeff

SoCalAngler

Sorry trn,

This post kind of went sideways and I may be to blame for that.

The single spring on the Avet HX reels and down through lower models is due to the MC style reels. The MC needs room and any reel with MC has to have a single spring to fit inside the side plate.

My point is, is that a single spring may be stiffer than on the reels that offer MC than the non MC reels? If so getting a set of springs may in fact make the clicker louder. If in fact the single spring is made out of heavier/ thicker gauge wire than the non MC reels, then there should be a differance

Double pins and double clickers?? How will that ever fit?

Maybe someone has better incite than me and that is cool and I would love to hear how that would work. I would love to see their mods with such things.

Rivverrat

No double clicker.  Meant adding another pin for a double spring set up. I was thinking out loud. A stronger or double spring spring arrangement could / might work with the single pin. 

Alto Mare

Anything simple would be worth a try. I'm thinking the clicker is strong enough and an additional spring might not do it. Maybe a little longer tongue might do it, but I'm just guessing.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.