Accurate B2-30 Frozen Drag Adjustment Knob and List of Bearings?

Started by fishesman, August 13, 2018, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishesman

I took my B2-30 out yesterday and adjusted the drag before I left the dock. The drag adjustment knob felt smooth and normal. Once I was out on the water I decided the drag was a little light and attempted to adjust it again, but the knob was completely frozen. I even attempted to turn it with light pressure using pliers, but it wouldn't budge. Any idea what could be out of whack? All adjustments were made with the lever completely backed off.

I haven't attempted to service it yet, but that brings me to a second question. Does anyone have a list of bearing sizes for this reel? I may go ahead and upgrade the bearings while I have it apart. Boca Bearings didn't have a list for this model of reel (or a BX2-30 for that matter).

Thanks for any help!
Scott

fishesman

I'll answer my own question here. I finally tore the reel down and the tension cam was frozen. A particle of some sort must have made its way into the fine threads. Once I had it out of the reel I put the whole assembly in a padded vice and turned the knob with channel locks. With a little pressure it broke free. I cleaned it out and regreased it and now it seems as smooth as ever. I'm still kinda baffled by what caused it freeze up,  but there appears to be no harm done.

alantani

Quote from: fishesman on February 17, 2019, 01:47:27 AM
I'm still kinda baffled by what caused it freeze up,  but there appears to be no harm done.

welcome to the wonderful world of accurate.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!