older sustain 4000

Started by handyandy, August 14, 2018, 02:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philaroman

hmmm, now I'm really thinking we can talk trade...
forgot I have a Sustain 5000FD, somewhere (missing handle & drag knob -- yours will fit)
most parts are identical for both, 4000/5000 size and both, '03/'07 versions
whichever "roller bearing" you need, it's in there

let's delineate terminology:
roller bearing = big-####, trillion-part A/R clutch assembly under/inside the rotor (RD-6130 for SA-4000/5000FD)
line-roller bearing = tiny ball bearing under/inside the line-roller (RD-7915 for SA-4000/5000FD)
(FYI: if there's room for it, second aftermarket BB is added for stability under heavy load)

I have no problem working on ANY Shimano spinner, but I mainly tinker w/ 90's models
hence, my parts pile is mostly in the "older than '03 / cheaper than Stella" category
the 5000FD is out of place & incomplete, so I never bothered to crack it open
would be happy to do so, to pull whatever parts you need or fix it up as trade-bait
not suggesting equal value to your 4000F (assuming, no problems other than the roller mess)
I'd throw in other reel(s) and/or parts to load the trade in your favor
let me know what other Shimanos you have (working or not) for a best-planned swap
if you just want to buy parts, Buyer's Market rules:

• slightly below fleaBay prices for anything I value, or in short supply
  • WAY less for anything overabundant or unneeded in my parts pile
  • or whatever Fred says is fair, if no other authority ;D

handyandy

I wasn't thinking of a trade, was just thinking send you the reel to service repair possibly. But I'm not opposed to a trade. I like the size and feel of the 4000 I have. Whats weird is the other sustain I have a 4000fd just seems larger by a little bit. If you think you the line roller parts that would work on the pictured sustain 4000 I don't mind giving a fair price for them I wasn't expecting a give away. I'd kind of prefer to just get parts and fix it myself, as I should try to become familiar with more modern reels. Modern is relative yes, modern by my standards of reels I've been dealing with. I'm not opposed to a two bearing setup I understand the benefits, but I don't feel the need to upgrade it as, line roller with a bearing is a huge upgrade compared to most my reels. I know to many this sustain is a relic, but when most of my reels used are 400 and z series penns, old dam quicks newest being from the 70's-80's, and old zebco abu made cardinals this shimano is new era stuff to me. 

handyandy

I should have been more specific in my previous posts when I was saying roller bearing I was referring the line roller bearing. As I haven't even dived into this reel deep enough yet to get to other bearings.

philaroman

no prob...  hope you're not in a hurry...  go ahead & self-service your reels, to see what else you may need & all the bearings are good

4000F: I have a HUGE pile of pristine SustainFA bearings that should be the same (not sure about the little ones on either end of the oscillation worm, but those are never really stressed); very confident about putting together a cheap compatible line roller assembly & the missing spacer is likely same as SustainFA

4000FD: if it's bigger than 4000F, than I'm pretty sure it's the same body as 5000FD w/ smaller rotor/spool (hopefully someone else here can verify that) & I have you covered for almost any part needed...  also, cheaply

worst case scenario: you send me the disassembled reels in bags :( NOT CHEAP!!! :(  ...just don't loose anything

almost forgot: check whether line roller bearings for both reels have same ID -- i.e., same bail-head arbor diameter

handyandy

not in a hurry would like to have it functioning, but don't need it tomorrow have more rods/reels than I can use at one time as I'm sure many other on here do as well. Both reels are quiet smooth and work well outside the line rollers. The 4000fd line roller the bearing is just worn when I got it was quiet dry/corroded I cleaned as best I could and lubed it. Works but it makes some noise so it's due for replacement. The 4000F as you have seen in the pictures the line roller was a basket case. I haven't cracked it open, but outside of the line roller it's quiet smooth and feels good. Hopefully it just needs a good going through cleaning, relube, and reassemble. I'll be careful with them as they definetly have more to them than what I'm use to. Let me know what your thinking on price for the 4000f line roller assembly, the 4000fd I have all the line roller components and it functions the bearing has just seen better days. I sure appreciate the help I'll have to remember to takes some comparison pics of the two next to each other. They may not be that much different size wise, but I'm pretty sure they are the 4000FD sure seems heavier than than the older 4000F.

philaroman

no need to measure ID or more photos--just check whether it slides on to the other reel

philaroman

P.S., original SuperStopper A/R is funky -- not instant roller clutch like SuperStopper II
PAY CLOSE ATTENTION & GO SLOW!

instead of "going in" to hit a 6-8 tooth ratchet, the dog "goes out" to hit many (>12?) teeth on the inner circumference of the rotor...  very tiny back-play is normal

handyandy

thanks for the heads up kind of like n series dam quicks maybe somewhat.

handyandy

so messed around with the reel a bit this weekend. Pulled the line roller assembly off my 4000fd and found the bearing in it to be completely different than the older 4000. But the older 4000's bearing fit into the bushing off the 4000fd perfectly doing that I was able to put the bushing/bearing into the roller off the 4000fd and use it on the older 4000. So seems like if I just get new bearing of the right size for the old 4000, a 4000fd line roller, the two 4000fd line roller bushings I could get this old 4000 back in working order along with doing a general tear down, clean up, relube. As far as lubing these shimanos what is the norm just good reel oil on the bearings, and some good grease on the gears? I'm use to older style spinners with just one larger bearing that I normally use a corrision x/grease mixture on the bearings then grease on the gears and other moving components.