6601 C4 retrieve issue

Started by Gcain, August 17, 2018, 01:35:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gcain

New here. I picked up this reel second hand for muskie fishing. There are much better reels for the job but I'm on a tight budget and these are classics and parts are easy to find. Within the first year I had to replace the drive shaft (22081). I got the power handle too. I upgraded the level wind with the double bearings and ceramic pawl. Last year my IAR bearing went so I replaced that. Spent the money on the tool from Mike's versus the sockets.
This Summer I asked this reel to do too much. Used it to troll with inline planer boards. Had a buddy on board who is strong as an ox. At the end of the day I had him reel up the line. The planer board dove on him and he just tightened the drag and kept cranking. Lots of resistance.
Next time out I cast. Line goes out fine but is very rough on the retrieve.
Get home, break it down, plastic cog (23404) is slightly chewed up. Metal pinion (1117058) and gear (13169) look fine. Spool Bearings are good (bocas). I get a new plastic cog in there. Clean, lube, reassemble. Still the same performance. I go crazy and buy a bunch of new parts from Dads. The parts come in. I brake the reel down again. This time I unscrew the brake knob. I find the little plastic clip (20090) is broken. Luckily I ordered one of those. Besides that I replace the position holder (25994), the pinion gear (1117058), pinion yolk (21875), spool shaft (802631), the spool pinion (23403), and cog (23404) again. Reassemble and still have issues.
I'm stuck! I break it down again and really think along the way. There is some play on the handle or drive shaft, in and out, while pulling and pushing the reel while holding the handle. I think that's always been the case. Spring washers (5131) are good and lined up right.
Here's a question. The orientation of the clutch washer on the spool? Does that matter? I've taken it on and off a few times. I attached a photo. One way it looks like there is a "4" in a circle on one of the ears. Should this face away from or toward the spool?
The most troubling thing I found is the other photo showing metal on metal wear on the inside of the handle/drag face plate from the gear (24480) ribbing. The long axle on the break plate (22815) that the drive shaft, drag, and handle ride on is spinning freely and has some play side to side. I'm concerned that this may be the main problem. Since its riveted in place I'd have to get the entire break plate which runs about $30. Thoughts?
Another thing on my mind is the placement and condition of my IAR bearing. I have not had any issues with the handle spinning in reverse and besides a little dry the exposed needles and housing look ok. What do you folks recommend for lubing this part. I have Cal's and Abu grease on hand.
In terms of position, there is an etched ring inside the sleeve. When I replaced/installed this last year, I lined the top end of the bearing up with the ring. Is this correct? I read the thread on doing this with the sockets and press, but am still unclear on where that bearing should end up.
Thank you so much for any help or advice on getting my horse back on the track.
Gerrit

oc1

Is the stainless shaft that the gear sleeve rides on still square to the plate? 
-steve

akfish

Are you certain the main and pinion gears are good? The C4 has fast gears and tiny, tiny gear teeth. I often see them damaged from fishing too much drag on salmon...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Gcain

Quote from: oc1 on August 17, 2018, 09:09:08 AM
Is the stainless shaft that the gear sleeve rides on still square to the plate?  
-steve

Steve,
Are you talking about the shaft on the break plate (22815)?
It's square to the plate but it spins and there is a bit of play side to side. Not sure if either of those are "normal".
Akfish,
I replaced the pinion gear (111758) and plastic yolk but not the main gear.
What makes me think the shaft on the break plate is the wear (metal on metal) probably from the main gear on the inside of the side plate (photo).
Stands to reason the main gear may be worn from the rubbing too but it honestly doesn't look bad. What do you guys think about the IAR bearing? Is that etched ring a good landmark for position?
My brother just bought the same reel new. I'm going to tear it down and compare some things.
Thanks for your help.
Gerrit