Sabre 1140 ultra light rod - UPDATED new pics added

Started by xjchad, August 18, 2018, 07:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

Just found this rod for cheap.  I know Sabre is a great, dependable rod for the ocean, but have you guys ever seen an ultra light model like this?
Guides look nice and it has an aluminum reel seat.  I don't think it's super old since it has EVA grips, but I think it will fish well  :D

Husband, Father, Fisherman

Swami805

Looks like an original Sabre, should be fun with one of the UL spinners you've got. I have a 5 1/2' UL Sabre from the 80's,still going strong. They made fresh water stuff too.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

philaroman

looks like early lined Fuji guides

Ron Jones

I've used a few of these in the 80s and 90s. Just as fantastic as the big water rods. Have fun.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Danwin22

Looks like a high quality ultralight spinning rod to me.   

Ultralight rods and reels are my favorite size of fishing gear.

I think you have a lucky find.

USAF 1958-'62   NRA Member

xjchad

Thanks guys!
Looking forward to catching some browns with it next month!

Bryan Young

I absolutely love the old Sabre UL rods.  They are nice and flexible and strong.  Perfect for trout fishing.  One of those classic fun rods and flexible enough that I have yet to loose a fish with that rod.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Danwin22

Just curious, what reel will you match up with this beauty?

Modern or period?

xjchad

Quote from: Danwin22 on August 20, 2018, 09:56:33 PM
Just curious, what reel will you match up with this beauty?

Modern or period?

It will be an older reel for sure, I just need to decide which one.
I was bidding on three different UL spinners on ebay and bid what I thought was pretty low, just hoping to get one of them. 
I ended up winning all three  :o

So now I have to decide between a Shakespeare 2052, Dam Quick Microlite, and a Dam Quick 110  ???

I received the 2052 this morning and although it was in beautiful shape, it seemed to have a bit of a buzz when I cranked it fast, so I tore it down.
The inside had was lubed with a clear grease and everything looks beautiful.  When I pulled the pinion I could tell that the main bearing was dry and the cause of the buzzing.  I pulled the shields off and all the internals are soaking now.

I still need to go over the DQ's when I get them, but this 2052 is taking a strong lead so far as the chosen one.
Seeing this on the foot is bonus points as well...

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Danwin22

Sounds like a beautiful classic UL combo and a couple of Quicks for backup.

xjchad

Well I just received the rod and the pics I had from the seller did not do it justice.  It's much nicer looking in person!
I don't think the rod was ever fished or had a reel on it!

Original price tag from Gemco? $32.97   :o

I think the Shaky 2052 looks right at home!  ;D

Dominick

Wow! Gemco went out of business in 1984, 34 years ago.  Today you would pay over $80 for the same rod.  Good luck.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

thorhammer

Shakespeare is it. no question. good job and good luck.

philaroman

dunno...  to me, that rod SCREAMS 5-10# BRAID & Shakes spool & line-lay just ain't braid-worthy