Jigmaster 500/501 to 505/506 comparison

Started by Gfish, August 20, 2018, 01:50:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MACflyer and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gfish

The Jigmaster series began in 1958-'59 with the 500. Sharing many of the same parts as the 259(Long Beach Live Bait Caster) and being the same size, the 500 is thought to be an updated replacement. The main diffrences between the 259 & the 500 were: 4:1 gears(500) vs 2.5:1(259); 1 structural frame ring on each side-plate(500) vs 2 on each side-plate(259, a strength + on this reel for my $); and a quick release head-plate arrangement on the 500, for easy spool change and maintenance.
The 500 is the only Jigmaster still manufactured today( built in China since 2006). The narrow version("Junior")501 was introduced in 1966 and discontinued in 2004. The 501 has all the same features of the 500, but being a narrower platform, it has lower line capacity, but it would probably be less prone to frame torque.

Perhaps, because of the initial success of the 500/501 and a gradual decrease of sales in the 70's & 80's, Penn introduced 2 updated versions: the 505HS/506HS "High Speed" Models. On these newbies the standard aluminium spools and side-plates were modified(elongated spool shafts)to ride on 2 ball bearings(insteda bushings that the 500/501 used), 5:1 gears(vs 4:1 on the 500/501), the 2 frame bars(instead of 4 individual posts on the oldies), and there are 2 tail-plate rings for the HS models instead of just the 1 that came on the 500/501. These were the main diffrences. The 505HS was discontinued in 2000 and the 506HS in 1998. More as I begin to post pictures.

Update note: For ACCURATE and more detailed info. on the history of these models and the Jigmaster 500S, please see the sub-forum "Penn-Vintage, Old Guy's Rule!!!!!, by sdlehr, with an excellent thread on the 500 et.al. Especially the posts from "Penn Chronology" on page 2.

Clockwise from top-left; 505HS, 506HS, 500 and 501
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Maxed Out

Nice stash of jigmasters

1959 jigmaster came with plastic spool(500) or chromed spool(500M). The L designates aluminum spool which was not available till several years later
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Gfish

Tail plate diffrences(hope you can see them in the pictures): 500 plate on the left, 506HS on the right.
1) The 506HS; 2-rings, with the outside ring having tapered holes for the screw heads. The 500; only 1 inside ring with the cylindrical head Penn screws.
Note: will use just the 506 vs the 500, as I'm too lazy to take apart 4 reels.

2) The inside depth for the 506 plate approximately 5mm, about 2mm for the 500.

3) The 506 has an easy to replace click spring with a screw, instead of the rivets that the 500 has.

4) Adjustable ball bearing on the HS reels(only tail plate side adjustable)Adjustable bushing(also tail plate only) for the 500.

The spool. As far as I know, all the 505/506 came with aluminium spools. The original 500 came with 2-plastic spools and a chromed brass spool(500M)was avalible for extra $(thanks Ted). Aluminium spools started to show up, I believe, in the mid-70's for the 500/501. Please correct anything in error as I'm workin off memory. Thanks.

The spool shaft lengths between the 2-model series are main diffrence: on the tail plate side the 506's shaft is about 2mm longer than that of the 500's, and on the gear side it is about 5mm longer.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

RowdyW

Gfish you forgot a 500S in your history lesson.     Rudy

Gfish

Thanks for the needed info. Ted! Recognize the 501? Good price for a pristine reel with the box.

Gfish

Yeah, Rudy. Maybe I can do that'un next: 500 vs the 500S. I guess alota folks had trouble with the S's screw-on/off tail plate corroding and stickin together, so they only lasted a few years.

RowdyW

The S's tail plate is a quick release type. Never saw one where the delrin plates would corrode to the rings. The S's seem to have better fitting quick release plates then the other 500 reels.

Gfish

Small differences on the side plates:

On the 506 the plates are slightly dome shaped, the 500's plates are flat.

The eccentric lever is conformed to fit the the 506's side plate better(closer) than the straight one on the 500.

No "lubricant" port on my 506 for the gear area, the 500 has one.

The "easy take apart" rings on the HS models have a completely diffrent type of rivet than those of the 500/501. Notice on the 500/501 the rivets are barely discernable and installed on the top section of the ring. On the HS's a set of larger rivets are driven in on the flat side of the plate.  

The cylindrical shape of the screwhead holes on the 500/501 tail-plate. This is probably nessassery to keep the non-ring-supported bakelite from cracking, which is what might occure from to much torque on a tapered screwhead.

Easier to notice head plate differences:

Metal shield around the gear sleeve/drag spacer on the 500, none on the 506.

Bridge plate on the 506=56.3mm wide, and it's 52.6mm on the 500.

Main gear diameter on the 500: 31.7mm with much coarser teeth, 32.0 mm on the 506 with fine teeth. Pinion for the 506=8.21mm, with a thicker ring on top, but made outta brass. 500's pinion=9.15mm, with a stainless steel lookin ring on top. Both pinions have 12 teeth.

The thickness of the head plate's gear area, on the outside is about 2.9mm more for the 506 than that of the 500's. Inside, the 506's depth is also greater, but difficult to measure.

The gear sleeves:
The gear sleeve's of the HS models have a fine thread(98-505) for the star wheel, producing more "fine tune" drag adjustability than the coarse threads of the 500's(98-60). Also, the stock 10-505 star on the HS is larger than the stock 10-60 on the 500/501

Frames:
A side by side width comparison.

Maxed Out

The 500s sideplates were made from different material than all other models
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Gfish

Ok, Rudy. That bit of info. for 500S was off a diffrent forum, that guy coulda been wrong. Wonder what it was that folks didn't like about that particular Jiggy version?

COMPARISONS:
The frames had one stand-out structural diffrence: the 505/506 came with the "2-screw bars" for more strength, as opposed to the individualized posts of the 500/501. Add to that; the double rings on the HS tail plates and the tapered screw heads/holes, and I like that frame much better.

The finer gear teeth on the HS models are rumored to shred easier. Don't know of any existing evidence of that, has anyone else heard otherwise, or experienced it? However, wouldn't the coarser toothed gear on the 500/501 have more surface contact area with the pinion and therefore be stronger?

My personal preference is bushings(500/501)for the spool to roll on. It's a "less maintenance" thing for me. Ball bearings (the HS models) need more maintenance and they are more expensive to replace.

Don't know if the metal drag spacer guard on the 500 strengthens anything but it could help keep out water from the innards.

The HS's 5:1 gear ratio is better for some applications,  but not for every situation. 5:1 = more speed, but 4:1(500/501)= more torque.

Because of the frame strength, standard aluminium spool and 5:1 gears, I'mina give an edge the the HS models, but only a "slight edge" because the ball bearings are a maintenance/cost negative to me and also I just don't know about the possibility of the HS gears being weaker. Notice in the photo I put a ss gear sleeve in the 506 that I had layin around.

In real world fishing applications, putting excessive torque on the reel, would it be less expensive/difficult to round the top of a brass gear sleeve off, and have to replace it,  than to wreck the gears?
HS Gears would be more expensive and possibly difficult to procure.  So, maybe I'll change back to the brass gear sleeve and under alota strain hopefully that'll collapse before the gears shread.

Opinions? Which do you like better and why?

Gfish

Ted, I believe the 500S side plates were made a "Lexan"(spelling?).

thorhammer

Greg, really nice write-up. I'm a fan of the HS; I think they are great undersung reels, witrh bearing maintenance as you say. I think you are correct, the 500S plates are Lexan, or possibly Delrin. Mike Quinn at Penn told me years ago but I forgot exactly; nonetheless, I have at least half dozen and prefer them when doing conversions for spiffy chromed innards and red spools.

NOTE for all doing a 506 conversion: as i just found out, the 506 spool assembly is a 109D 501 spool pressed on a 506 shaft, so the spool markings actually look like it's a 501 spool...until you install it...see Greg's photo. i bought one a ways back for Chui's kit when he had them had them ready, and then it didn't fit the kit. i alerted the ebay seller, and to his credit he sent me a NIB Newell 501 spool and wouldn't let me pay him. But he's gonna get some Cackalackey bobby-q sauce back :)

That's a fancy marble lazy susan you got there; that's an immaculate wrokbench. Mine looks like a tornado hit a Wal-marks...

Swami805

Here's a first year 500 when they used the decal. Been trying to find a first year 500m with the decal but not sure they exist
Nice write up Greg, thanks for taking the time
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Decker

Question: The custom side plates made by Cortez Conversions, and the one-piece Pro-Challenger frames have ball bearings on the spool spindle,  but use the standard spools that work with the bushing reels (500 501) correct?     

RowdyW