Jigmaster 500/501 to 505/506 comparison

Started by Gfish, August 20, 2018, 01:50:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swill88

Great info Greg!  Thanks.

I vote for it to be stickied but, with and asterisk for phonetic spelling. ::) ::) ::)

steve

Gfish

Quote from: Decker on August 20, 2018, 02:58:09 PM
Question: The custom side plates made by Cortez Conversions, and the one-piece Pro-Challenger frames have ball bearings on the spool spindle,  but use the standard spools that work with the bushing reels (500 501) correct?    

Yeah. I've only had one issue when goin that route and it hada do with the aftermarket pinion needing to be reamed out a tiny bit, but yeah, the old metal spool fit perfect into the aftermarket ball bearings.

Don't Know why the HS reels are built with the plates so deep(wide between the spool shaft ends). Maybe more $ for people to spend on specialized spools...? Its gotta be that the ball bearings need more space in the plates.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

sabaman1

Thanks for sharing that Gfish, thats a very nice collection. I started out  my conventional reel fishing with the Jigmasters and Squidder line. Brings back good memories!     
                              Jim
JIM

otghoyt

Yeah but.... a 259 tail plate on a 500.  Got a couple 110 Senator tail plates on some other 500s  I really dig all Jigmaster variants.  Nice write-up.

Ron Jones

Gotta tell ya, a 506 Newell spool would be the bees knees.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

thorhammer

MarkT

Newell got started in the reel business by making aftermarket upgrades for Squidder/Jigmasters. Then they moved into making reels. The Newell 3xx series were basically Jigmasters with spool bearings and 5:1 gears. The 505/506 were Penns attempt to take back that market. Just like the 2xx series Newell's were Squidders with 3xx internals. I'd prefer the Newell's over the Penns! Tiburon and Accurate started the same way, as I recall Accurate actually was a Tiburon sub-contractor.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Maxed Out

Spool shaft switcharoonie could be costly and detrimental. You want to hot rod your 506, but there is an alternative. A pro gear 545 is a 501 on steroids with 113h internals, spool on bearings, one piece frame, dd bridge drops in, and custom 4/1 gears. Standard eBay price is $150-$170
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

MarkT

The PG 545 has a bigger capacity than a 501 due to the deeper/taller spool.  It's more like the capacity of a 545 GS or Penn 99 Silver Beach/Jigmaster conversion.

Maxed Out

Quote from: MarkT on April 29, 2021, 12:05:35 AM
The PG 545 has a bigger capacity than a 501 due to the deeper/taller spool.  It's more like the capacity of a 545 GS or Penn 99 Silver Beach/Jigmaster conversion.

You must be thinking of a different reel Mark. I can use jigmaster accurate magnum sideplates and a PG545 spool to make a 501 magnum. The 501 & 545 spools are identical except for the spool shaft

MarkT

Same internal profile? I don't have any without line so I can't compare them directly. Actually, these days I only have a 545 and a 99'd Jigmaster.

Maxed Out

Yes, a few years ago a member here showed a 501 magnum that was built using a 545 spool. Accurate never made a 501 magnum

twotone

Mark are you sure I thought all progear were the size spools. I'd love a 501 accurate mag to match.  Someone elaborate
twotone

twotone

113h, 112h, jiggy 500,and squider mags. 501 got look to see if I have 545
twotone

Gfish

Magnum---Yes!, a 501 with 5:1 gears and braid would be awesome.

JMO, the progear frame and plates are better(prolly stronger) than an Accurate upgrade. It seems like it, cause of the way they fit together.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!