Shakespeare 2052

Started by xjchad, August 21, 2018, 11:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

Thanks to all the advice from you guys, I picked up one of these gems.
Swooped in and snagged this beauty pretty cheap.  Basic service and it feels like a brand new reel.
I'm still waiting to receive the Quick Microlite and 110 that I won also, but it's going to take a lot to make me chose one of those over this 2052 I think.
Always love to see "Made in the USA" also!

Only bummer is that the click tongue on the spool is broken.  

Looks like the part is permanently melted in place?
Any ideas?
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Danwin22

That's a beauty and one of the basic building blocks in any vintage Ultralight spinning reel collection.
USAF 1958-'62   NRA Member

festus

You got a very nice one.  My first one had a broken clicker tongue also and a discolored sun bleached spool.  So I ordered another reel for parts.  Those NOS spools pop up occasionally on the auction and usually bring about 10 bucks plus shipping.

I've never had my hands on a Penn 716 but still scratch my head wondering why they're so much more expensive than these little Shakespeares.

mo65

That's a dandy Chad...just keep your eyes peeled for a spool...they pop up a lot. I still have a hard time believing these reels never got the attention they deserve. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

Nice looking reel, Chad! You'll like it a lot.

The click spring is an easy fix. Get a little strip of sheet brass, cut a slot in the spool where it goes with an exacto knife, loop it around that slotted stud & hot glue it in. Here's what it's supposed to look like. I replace them quite often on similarly made spools, etc.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

Quote from: festus on August 22, 2018, 12:21:13 AM
I've never had my hands on a Penn 716 but still scratch my head wondering why they're so much more expensive than these little Shakespeares.
I think it is the fault of the surfcasters Festus.  They put the greenies, and now the Z's, up on a pedestal which jacks up demand and price.  It would be hard to convince them the 2052 are just as robust because they come from a culture that classifies all Shakes  as freshwater reels.  Because if it's size, the 716 isn't even a surf reel.  I confess to being part of the conspiracy.
-steve

Midway Tommy

I thought I would show the variations of the "E" Series Shakespeare 2052 for those that aren't aware of their existence. All three of these reels are exactly the same except they are different colors and were sold by different companies.

From left to right: Pflueger Supreme 550 ED, Shakespeare 2052 EE, Wright & McGill Eagle Claw ECL

As a result of their rarity the Pflueger and Eagle Claw usually sell for at least 50% more than the Shakespeare.  :o

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

oc1

Wright McGill wouldn't be up to the task, but it surprises me that Shakespeare made reels for Pflueger.  You're a wealth of information Tommy.
-steve

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oc1 on October 25, 2019, 07:36:28 AM
Wright McGill wouldn't be up to the task, but it surprises me that Shakespeare made reels for Pflueger.  You're a wealth of information Tommy.
-steve

That happened because Shakespeare bought out Pflueger 1966. Pflueger kept its name and headquarters until 1969 when it became Pflueger Division of Shakespeare. At the same time Shakespeare also offered the Pflueger Supreme 551 (same as the Shakespeare 2062) and Pflueger Supreme 600 (same as the Shakespeare 2080). All those are matte gray. 

Shakespeare also made Wright and McGill's ECM (same as 2062), ECH (same as 2081) and ECT (same as 2091). 

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

foakes

Great information, Tommy!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Whit

A smidge off topic, but related to Tommy's comment:  Little bit of trivia on Shakespeare/Pflueger.   At one point they both made electric trolling motors for freshwater under their separate brand names.  The props were interchangeable.   I still have an old Pfleuger as well as a couple of the Shakespeares.  Not as good as the newer stuff, but back in the day they were the workingmans trolling motor.  In the market, only the Shakespeare models survived (post-merger).

oc1

When did Shakespeare last manufacture something in the U.S.?  I once drove by a Shakespeare facility somewhere in central South Carolina.  Maybe a factory, or maybe just a warehouse and corporate stuff.  It's big though.
-steve

thank you woody.  I saw the replies before your deleted them