Picking Up P21XN Kits At Tiburon On Tuesday 8/28. Please Send Payment Soon!

Started by Vintage Offshore Tackle, August 22, 2018, 05:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishy247

I discovered the same thing when I went to spool up my first one last night...

I like the idea of a spacer under the foot, but the foot is dovetailed, so I'm not sure how that would work. I was thinking maybe pad the foot with something, maybe cork tape. That might be a little too squishy though. I'll try it when I get home tonight. I might just grind a bit off the sides of the reel seat....

But, I'm only fishing 20#-30# tops on this rod...I'll probably just take the clamp off...

I'll let you know about the cork tape though!

-Mike

Hey Mike, that reel looks pretty sweet!

Maxed Out

Tiburon tongue has a taper that would not allow a "spacer" under it.  In other words the tongue is screwed to the frame, but it is also keyed to the frame

I do think Tiburon could easily design a thicker seat tongue. It would be the easiest fix IMHO

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

mikeysm

It would be cheaper than trying to find a rod that will work with the reel.

Mike

Vintage Offshore Tackle

I know that this is really bad timing, and I would like more than anything to be able to work on solving this problem, but I am on my way out of the country and will not be home until 10/2.  I will forward your suggestions to Tiburon, but I am not going to be able to ride close heard on this until I get back.  It sounds like the best solution is to have Tiburon make the thicker bases with longer screws, and I am going to try to get that done.

In the meanwhile, these reels will fit into any reel seat on any rod if the rod clamp brackets are removed.  As a temporary measure for those  for those of you whose application requires the use of a rod clamp, the only thing that I can suggest is to find something that will sit under the base to bring it up close to the same level as the bottom of the clamp brackets.  I realize that this is not a great solution, but I can't think of anything else to do until Tiburon comes up with a permanent fix.

For those of you who need to use a rod clamp and just don't want to wait for a fix, you can return your kit to me for a full refund, including the shipping charge both ways.  Just pack it back up, preferably in the same box that it came in, and send it back to me by USPS first class parcel with tracking, email me the tracking number, and I will issue the refund as soon the post office shows the package as received.

I am very sorry for the problem.  If you would like to talk with me, you can reach me at 805-748-9202.

Randy

mikeysm

Darin Crofton

If one of these comes available please put me in line, thank you! Darin
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

mhc

Quote from: Maxed Out on September 04, 2018, 05:58:42 PM
Tiburon tongue has a taper that would not allow a "spacer" under it.  In other words the tongue is screwed to the frame, but it is also keyed to the frame

I do think Tiburon could easily design a thicker seat tongue. It would be the easiest fix IMHO

Ted

Oops! I had recently pulled the straight sided foot off my Cortez squidder to copy for a 501 project and had forgotten the tiburon feet were dovetailed -  Ted is correct as usual!

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Tiburon asked me to apologize to everyone for the problem, and to let them know that they will be remaking the rod clamp blocks with a large bevel, which as you can see below, was how they were originally designed (and how MHC suggested that they be fixed).  They are going to run the new blocks and I am going to pick them up on October 4 when I get back from my trip, and I will send them out ASAP for every kit that was shipped.  All that you will have to do is unscrew and remove the original blocks, grease the threads, and screw in the replacement blocks.

If anyone cannot wait that long and wants to return their kits for a full refund, please let me know.

Thank you for your patience.  I am very sorry for the problem.

Randy

Here is Tiburon's explanation of what happened:

Randy,
The design included a large bevel so that the clamp blocks would clear the reel seats. My print showed the bevel but neither my shop guys nor myself noticed the the bevel was not put on the part.

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

Decker

Don't mean to brag, don't mean to boast, but... don't this look bada$$ with 259 Live Bait Caster plates? I want to put a paddle-style double handle on it; gotta find one.

Gfish

Pretty cool Joe. Thats a great idea. Now you gotta a double ring strong p21XN. I opted for the HS version so I got double rings on the tailplate only, but do have 5:1 gears!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Decker

Quote from: Gfish on September 06, 2018, 07:05:08 AM
Pretty cool Joe. Thats a great idea. Now you gotta a double ring strong p21XN. I opted for the HS version so I got double rings on the tailplate only, but do have 5:1 gears!

I heard about that HS option too late to place an order :P :-\ :'(   Good for jigging.  Let's see a picture.  

Mine would be slow and powerful with 259 gears -- probably a good blackfish (tautog) reel. Worth the full Tani treatment of SS sleeve, double-dogging, and maybe 7-stack drag.  I just had to see how it looked.

mhc

Looks great Joe, the double rings, narrow spool and low gears make it a very strong little winch with a classic look.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

mikeysm

We can always rely on Randy to save the day. Your integrity is impeccable as always.

Mike

xjchad

Joe, you stole my idea!  ;)
I just picked up a sweet little 259 has a donor for my P21XN project. I love how it looks!
Husband, Father, Fisherman