How old is this reel? Old enough to keep on shelf? Or should I fish it?

Started by scharebear, August 23, 2018, 03:09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scharebear

I am recovering from back surgery and have too much time on my hands if you are wondering why I am posting so much.

Thoughts on this reels age?

Thanks

Gfish

Post away baby! I got 4 days off cause of the Hawaiian Hurricane threat and I watch very little tv. Someone with good Penn historical knowledge can probably get it dated. It's kinda a fun thing to do with reels.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

RowdyW

It looks like mid 60's with the outside accessable drags, & steel main gear. Nothing scarce or rare about it It's a fisher.       Rudy

Reel 224

Looks in great shape, If your not going to use it to fish, that it doesn't look like it would be hard to polish up  and show it off.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Shark Hunter

If you are going to fish it, I would upgrade the drag to a 5 stack of carbon fiber.
It still has the old asbestos three stack.
It looks great by the way. ;)
Life is Good!

scharebear

Thanks for the thoughts and info. It was my wife's grandfathers, not sure if he would be more honored by it on my shelf or if was it was catching fish, he was a very practical man from what I knew. Think I will leave on the shelf since I don't really need it.

thorhammer

Agree with Rudy, likely mid-60's. I hunt those because they generally have steel main gears and will handle a drag upgrade as Daron mentions...you may to play around with the new stack a bit or change spacer bushingbecause they can stack up differently and you will still need the tophat washer. still a fish-catcher.

happyhooker

Quote from: Gfish on August 23, 2018, 03:20:40 AM
Post away baby! I got 4 days off cause of the Hawaiian Hurricane threat and I watch very little tv. Someone with good Penn historical knowledge can probably get it dated. It's kinda a fun thing to do with reels.

Buckle down, pardner; that blow sounds like a big one.

Frank

steelfish

Quote from: scharebear on August 23, 2018, 01:35:14 PM
Thanks for the thoughts and info. It was my wife's grandfathers, not sure if he would be more honored by it on my shelf or if was it was catching fish, he was a very practical man from what I knew. Think I will leave on the shelf since I don't really need it.

to each his own but I think he would be more honored with some of his belongings still catching fish that covering in dust.

I would upgrade some the internal parts and fish it.

The Baja Guy