Is it possible to disassemble handle nut and eccentric nut?

Started by 1badf350, August 23, 2018, 08:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badf350

Im curious if it is possible to take the grease fittings out and replace them? I want to have a set anodized and i assum they cannot do it with the grease fittings still inside.
If this is not possible, are there any aftermarket parts available in colors besides chrome?
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Cor

Cornelis

foakes

These are cheap parts, Chris —

If mine, I would see what the anodizer Guy sez  first — and then just maybe just give it a go anyway.

Not much surface to those ports...

You could also just source nuts with no lube ports — depending on the reel model.

Few, if any of the guys on our site would use those ports anyway.  Most everyone here would have no issues just popping off the sideplate and putting a few drops of TSI321, or similar in there.

Just my thoughts...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

1badf350

So i was told that only aluminum can be anodized. So my option is to have a plating shop black chrome plate them
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

George6308

The Penn handle screws, part 23-60, are chrome plated brass. The 23-60 was also made without the oilers. The oilers itself can be drilled out. Try epoxy paint or Aluma-Hyde to color it to your choice.

sdlehr

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Swami805

Tom at cortez conversions makes black stainless clickers for newells,the same process might work on an on those
Do what you can with that you have where you are

1badf350

I would want to pit the oilers back in them. Or just forget the whole idea. LOL
-Chris

oc1

I'd be curious to know how the spring is held in place too.  After pushing the ball and spring into the hole does the spring expand into a groove?  Do they somehow peen a little lip down there to hold it in place?
-steve

George6308

They appear to have the ball hold down the  spring while the edge of the cup is piened over the ball to hold the assembly together and the cup is a very tight press fit into the required part (side plate, handle nut , & handle knob etc) Take  a look at oil cups on McMaster-Carr's site.

oc1

Thank you George.  I would never have guessed they could install and peen them from the outside and make it look so nice.  To undo the peen and hammer it back would be a tall order.
-steve

sdlehr

Quote from: George6308 on August 23, 2018, 10:52:09 PM
This explains black Crome plating:  https://arlingtonplating.com/capabilities/black-chrome-plating/
Thanks, this was the operative sentence for me, "The black color is achieved by alloying other metals with the chromium deposit."
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector