Started by conchydong, August 24, 2018, 04:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Quote from: philaroman on August 24, 2018, 07:38:42 PM
Fred,

I believe, "ve ar to soon alt, und to late shmart"
is closer to German sentence structure...  and sounds cooler

Wer sagt man das auf deutsh, Sagn sie mir. Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Gfish

Quote from: nelz on August 24, 2018, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Gfish on August 24, 2018, 06:44:12 PM
Hey, if it works good... Ever toss out your best lure, maybe even one you made yourself, and a massive backlash( the type where you can't even reel back in)allows it to sink and snag-up on the bottom? Ever go out in the pre-dawn darkness and backlash cause you can't see when your lure hits the water?

Hey I happen to like this development, I called it "brilliant" already. But I'll tell ya, every time I walk into a store that sells the latest tackle, I feel like the poor fish don't have a chance anymore! The sheer number of reels/rods/lures along with all the latest tech makes me dizzy!  We're gonna run outta fish man!

First fish(already happenin), then money.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

I say B.S.  Their centrifugal break does not make contact until the lure splashes down.  Spool over-run can and does happen before the lure splashes down so there has to be another braking system to slow the cast while the lure is still in the air (magnets, traditional centrifugal brakes or spool tension).  Stopping the spool at splash down is not difficult; even I can do it.  Moderating the spool speed while the lure is in the air is the hard part.  Magnets and the traditional centrifugal braking systems provide very little braking pressure at low spool speed and more braking pressure at high speeds.

The second point is that their brake is adding a lot of weight to the spool.  Light weight spools cast better than heavy spools.

I love and hate Swedish engineers.  In their day, ABU made great reels and Volvo made great cars.  But, the Swedes do not know when to stop and will over-engineer stuff to the point where it is too complicated to be dependable.
-steve

Gfish

Quote from: oc1 on August 24, 2018, 08:55:02 PM
I say B.S.  Their centrifugal break does not make contact until the lure splashes down.  Spool over-run can and does happen before the lure splashes down so there has to be another braking system to slow the cast while the lure is still in the air (magnets, traditional centrifugal brakes or spool tension).  Stopping the spool at splash down is not difficult; even I can do it.  Moderating the spool speed while the lure is in the air is the hard part.  Magnets and the traditional centrifugal braking systems provide very little braking pressure at low spool speed and more braking pressure at high speeds.

I love and hate Swedish engineers.  In their day, ABU made great reels and Volvo made great cars.  But, the Swedes do not know when to stop and will over-engineer stuff to the point where it is too complicated to be dependable.
-steve

Agree with most of that Steve, except, haven't you ever fished in the dark, and you can't tell when splash-down's gonna happen? Then, "ahhhgahhhh!" Big backlash. Like Tommy's talkin bout, I've been goin toa spinner when I first go out in the am and it's still dark.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

xjchad

Quote from: oc1 on August 24, 2018, 08:55:02 PM
the Swedes do not know when to stop and will over-engineer stuff to the point where it is too complicated to be dependable.
-steve

And too expensive to fix  :(
Husband, Father, Fisherman

philaroman

Quote from: Reel 224 on August 24, 2018, 08:39:15 PM
Fred,

OK, so you made me look it up & it's most likely Pa. Dutch

Reel 224

Quote from: philaroman on August 24, 2018, 10:32:19 PM
Quote from: Reel 224 on August 24, 2018, 08:39:15 PM
Fred,

OK, so you made me look it up & it's most likely Pa. Dutch

OH danke schon. Thank you.................joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

George6308

The market place will make the decision if this is a viable product.

David Hall

Think I'll pre order four of them for loaner reels.

mhc

Quote from: David Hall on August 24, 2018, 11:42:32 PM
Think I'll pre order four of them for loaner reels.
Great! - Can I borrow one please?  ;D
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

oc1

Greg, my eyesight is probably about like you fishing in the dark.  I loose sight of the jig sometimes but can usually judge it by the sound of the reel.
-steve

Midway Tommy

Hey, if it works good... Ever toss out your best lure, maybe even one you made yourself, and a massive backlash( the type where you can't even reel back in)allows it to sink and snag-up on the bottom? Ever go out in the pre-dawn darkness and backlash cause you can't see when your lure hits the water?

QuoteLike Tommy's talkin bout, I've been goin toa spinner when I first go out in the am and it's still dark.

Greg,

You guessed my thoughts before I could respond.  ;) No, not since I switched to open face spinners and dumped a 5 gal bucket of bait casters overboard.  ;D

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Ron Jones

Yes, but it's been a long, long time.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Rivverrat

Dont think I would buy a reel with this feature. But I really thought it was pretty cool... Jeff

Yellowcat

Here's an old school handmade Penn cast control device from the 60's or before then. I don't remember the name if the device but it was made/sold by "Hermosa Tackle Box" a shop located on the end of the Hermosa Beach Pier back in the day.  Yeah it looks kinda goofy but it really works! It works by way of a spring on the post/crossbar that is very adjustable, the nub (leather) below the bar rubs against the spool as line tension decreases toward the end of the cast. The reels are Penn 500 & 140. I still use 'em for old school style surf fishing. 13' rods, 3-4oz sinkers and bait. Where this deal shines is for surf fishing at night when normally you can't see the loops build up at the end of the cast and this device works better than you would think, you only need your thumb about when the rig hits the water, sweet. I could also use this setup for catfishing at night if long casts were needed. I still use these reels for surf fishing by day, not so much by night anymore since you can't park at night on the Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu without getting ticketed or towed, the cops don't usually share your concerns about the right tides!
"If you didn't put it together with your own hands, it's not really yours"  -Tim Allen  'Tool Time'