Rod building and Reel repair

Started by Reel 224, August 26, 2018, 12:39:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

I have started to think very seriously about what I have to concentrate on building my business on. Rod building or Reel maintenance and repair. So far it's been 80% rod building 20% reel repair, and I adding custom reels that I've built since I joined Alan's site. So far the Reel work has been most of my interest in building a better reel, so doesn't bring in any cash, so far.

I thought that Rod building and Reel repair would work hand in hand but so far it"s been Rods and very little reels. I have signs on my truck and business cards advertising that I build rods & repair reels/service. I live in an area close to the coast, but I think the reels that people have get repaired in shops that I'm not aware of or just people don't want to pay.

Just throwing that out there from my perspective....................................Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

akfish

I think a big problem with reel repair is that so many people fish cheap, foreign made reels that simply aren't worth fixing. The same goes rods -- who wants to pay money to replace a guide when a new rod is so inexpensive? I'm lucky: I'm the only reel repair guy in the area so I get lots of business from lodges and charters. I often think it would be impossible to do what I do -- over a thousand reels a year -- anywhere else.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Alto Mare

That's a lot of reels Bill, I'm glad you're keeping busy.
Not to go off track with Joe's comment and I do believe this goes along with it.
The past few years there have been a bunch of custom parts for these older Penn reels, my question is related to you.
Since you've been very quiet on any of these custom parts and I'm sure you haven't made one purchase on them; how do you deal with reels equipped with those?
Eventually there are going to be many floating around and some might need replacement parts.
Do you just send them back or don't accept any creels that have been customized?
Just a curiosity.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 26, 2018, 03:45:11 AM
That's a lot of reels Bill, I'm glad you're keeping busy.
Not to go off track with Joe's comment and I do believe this goes along with it.
The past few years there have been a bunch of custom parts for these older Penn reels, my question is related to you.
Since you've been very quiet on any of these custom parts and I'm sure you haven't made one purchase on them; how do you deal with reels equipped with those?
Eventually there are going to be many floating around and some might need replacement parts.
Do you just send them back or don't accept any creels that have been customized?
Just a curiosity.

Sal

Sal: I know your not referring to me about custom reels, because I have customized my reels and bought a bunch more custom reels. So I waiting for the market to come to me, I am starting to expose customers to the custom reels that I've built also.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Alto Mare

Joe, no this was not directed to you and it is not about who purchase parts and who doesn't.
I'm certainly not pushing Bill or anyone else to buy  custom parts, just a curiosity on how they deal with reels that have those parts on them.

Maybe I should delete my comments and start a new thread at some point on this subject.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

No Sal you should voice you opinion right here, I'm looking/fishing....pardon the pun....for any help that may spark a thought to go some ware with this endeavor.

I have spent thousands of dollars on eqiptment over the years on gun work and I have transitioned many tools to support my reel work, beside future thoughts on spending more on machinery in the future.

I guess you could say I am brain storming here to bounce of on guys like you who are in this for a long time any I'm reaching out to get some solid information. So anybody who wants to throw an idea at me to see if it sticks, then certainly do so.

What better place to start then here!....................................Joe       

oc1

Since you're moving to a new area why not put yourself out there as a gunsmith, reelsmith and rodsmith.  Do all three and see what the competition is like and where the most demand is before focusing on one. 
-steve

Cor

I do reel repair, repair and make rods, but mostly for my friends and don't charge other then for parts but often tell guys what parts are required and they can source it themselves.

Being retired gives me the time to do this and it keeps me off the streets, but there is no money in it.

The thing is that I can not charge enough for the amount of work involved, and if I tried to, the cost of parts plus labour quickly equals the price of a reel or new rod!

Cheap price competition!

Cornelis

Reel 224

For one thing Gun smith is out, in today's world it is to much liability and having a FFL opens your home and everything related to guns in it. No thanks. I am retired also and having free time is limited besides my effort and time is worth something, friends and business are separate from my aspect of what I am trying to accomplish.

Thanks for the input and keep the suggestions coming................................Joe 

STRIPER LOU

Joe,

The problem with doing 1 thing is you become kind of specialized. Rod building consumes a ton of time plus you have to build a lot of them to survive and your targeting a limited amount of people.

I've found its not necessarily about making money but being able to put enough back into the business to keep it running and making it feasible.

I like Steve's idea. You would have a lot to offer covering all three.

Here, its reel repair and service, minor rod repair, custom parts, rig's, lures, plugs, wire and regular lines, bucktails, etc. ,etc. The custom stuff pretty much makes nothing at all but its a great drawing card for selling other things.

A good wholesaler with and inventory is a must and a tackle shop that's willing to offer a discount works out well too. Its the incidental things that keep me going. Inventory cost you money in the long run unless you are selling a ton of stuff, not necessary. Although I never pass up a deal on Penn parts and reels.

One thing that can become helpful too the business is to work out a deal with a tackle shop to service. If you get lucky and have him advertise, you can set up a table at his place and service reels for the day.
Depending where it is, it can get busy and a helper may not be a bad idea.

Although the gun business today is much better than when I was in it, I don't bother because of the liability.
That being said, its very difficult to find a competent gunsmith.

Wishing you well with the move and new endeavor and please give my regard's to Ruth,  ..  Lou

PS: Its important to have a decent display of goodies at your shop as that and the quality of work you provide is what  keeps people coming back.

Reel 224

Lou; That is all excellent advice, and I know you have a lot of experience with you trade. I have intoroduced myself to tackle shops here and some boat captains as a matter of fact the last rod I built was for a mate on the head boat. As you know I have cards that I handout also.

I'm not looking to make a home-run in this business and I am putting all money that I have made back into my cash account for the business. So far like I already mentioned the cash in coming for rod building more then reel work. I think my biggest drawback is having little inventory, I have custom reels to show but nothing else except some plugs and your jigs.

I was thinking I should make my own rigs for show too, but I have limited room right now. I don't want to set things up here also because we will be moving soon. That said, I can keep you suggestions for future planing.

Gun work? I don't know if I want to start that up again, I'll see if South Carolina is better as far as the laws go. I am still thinking of the Liability of doing that and Insurance! I would rather farm myself out to a gun shop. We will see, but I am more interested in doing fishing gear then guns anymore.

Thanks for asking about Ruth. Ruth is doing better every day now, we will see what comes from the spinal injury as far as surgery goes.

Joe   

oc1

Dealing with the liability issue would be a non-starter for me too Joe, as would having to deal with the Feds.  We're a small family/hobby farm but do not grow food crops to sell because of liability issues.
-steve

FatTuna

What are you charging for the reels? Maybe they don't like the price.......

If you are in an area with a ton of reel repair shops, like Florida, you are going to have a ton of competition...... I thought about giving out some cards to local shops when I was down there last winter but literally every shop did repairs. Where I live in Mass, I'm literally one of two people. It's weird because there are so many people here and so many guys love to fish. There were a few others but one of them closed up shop, one of them died, and the other guy just jams a hand full of grease inside the reel and calls it a day.... Maybe the market is oversaturated where you are......

I don't think it adds up that fisherman are buying custom rods off you but are cheaping out by purchasing disposable Walmart reels. The guys who want custom rods want a nice reel to pair it up with.

Reel 224

Well one issue at a time; for one guns are way out of my thoughts of going back into especially-especially with the nuts shooting people today.

Issue: two I build rods for people that already have the reels that they want, I have one rod and custom reel that is on hold for a good customer.

My concern is eqiptment; what do I buy next? I'm thinking a new lathe for metal and some wood. I have a small hobby lathe that is just about worn out so I was thinking of replacing it with the new one. It's a small one 16" work bed and about $1200.00. I can make a lot of parts with it.

About price; I don't think I am charging to much as people are not complaining and they are returning. You could be right about competition however because I live in a very popular fishing area. I am trying to fit my business to the most productive area to invest in. Not saying I want to make a million, just make a little for the pot.

Joe