Main Menu

Repairs

Started by Reel 224, September 09, 2018, 03:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Guys I don't know weather you know this trick or not, but here it is. For repairing a nick or chunk on a reel plate (plastic or Bakelite) Put a drop of super glue and cover it with baking powder, blow the baking powder off and it hardens immediately to fill the dent crack or hole. If you have a deep hole or repair then you can repeat the process again as many times as it takes to fill the repair, and it can be sanded down.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

foakes

Great tip, Joe —

Maybe also some color match could be mixed in. 

Some dust/powder residue perhaps from drilling in an old busted side-plate of the same color.

Super Glue sounds like a good filler.  Poor mans Bondo.

I should stop tossing those old broken side-plates.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Cor

I Must remember that!
Thanks for the tip.
Cornelis

sdlehr

I've been using this stuff lately - put it down, cover it with dust (usually hard rubber lately) and it hardens when deprived of oxygen. I keep the bottle in the refrigerator.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Donnyboat

Thank you Joe, good tip, could be handy, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

JoseCuervo

My guy told me this trick awhile back and noted the baking soda also strengthens the bond significantly beyond straight CYA, so a filler that bulks up the media and strengthens it as well.

Nice tip!  ;)

Rob

mizmo67

Fixin' stuff with science..love it.
Have to remember that one.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Reel 224

I certainly hope this is a help to someone in the future.........................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

oc1

Believe it or not, CA glue requires that the bonding surfaces be moist.  The moisture in the air is all it needs.  But, this limits CA usefulness for filling gaps because that space between the two bonding surfaces does not provide enough moist surface. 

We know how hard it is to keep baking soda dry to prevent it from caking.  So, baking soda fills the gap with plenty of tiny moist surfaces for the CA to react with.

Watch out for the heat and fumes though.  Baking soda provides so much moist surface area that the reaction goes a little crazy for a few seconds.

-steve

Reel 224

Steve: Thanks for your caution, I know when I used to build RC Airplanes I used CY glue and a accelerator to speed some bonding and the fumes would put tears in your eyes if you held your head to close to the work. Hey that could be the reason for my brain damdege  ;) ;D ;D ;D..................Joe 

Cor

Quote from: Reel 224 on September 10, 2018, 09:25:24 PM
Steve: Thanks for your caution, I know when I used to build RC Airplanes I used CY glue and a accelerator to speed some bonding and the fumes would put tears in your eyes if you held your head to close to the work. Hey that could be the reason for my brain damdege  ;) ;D ;D ;D..................Joe 
Now you explained something to me that Ive thought about for a long time ;) ;)
I buy large bottles of the stuff, used to glue on leaders with it.
Cornelis