How do you get the bearings out of the cups? Penn 970 Mag

Started by Pelagicide, September 03, 2018, 06:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pelagicide

I found a 970 that's in as close to mint condition as used reels come - this one not only had never been fished, it's never been spooled - So I decided to upgrade the bearings to ABEC 7 ceramic bearings and removed the cups but the bearings are apparently in there to stay! Short of ordering a bearing puller from eBay and waiting 3 weeks for it to get here from Hong Kong (I couldn't find any that shipped from within the US) is there anything I can do?

nelz

If they're like the Senators' cups, you just bend a piece of metal in a way that will allow you to slide it under the bearing and then just pull it out. The tool you make just has to be strong enough for the pulling. Alan T uses the "Penn tool" and bends the screwdriver end for this.

Gfish

Does the 970 ball bearing assembly have a retainer pushed
into the cup on topa the bearings?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Pelagicide on September 03, 2018, 06:59:30 PM
I found a 970 that's in as close to mint condition as used reels come - this one not only had never been fished, it's never been spooled - So I decided to upgrade the bearings to ABEC 7 ceramic bearings and removed the cups but the bearings are apparently in there to stay! Short of ordering a bearing puller from eBay and waiting 3 weeks for it to get here from Hong Kong (I couldn't find any that shipped from within the US) is there anything I can do?
The 970 has some good quality bearings, if the reel wasn't used much, try a couple of drops of good oil and go fish.
See how that feels for you and take it from there.

These reels are equipped with a magnet, free-spool might not be an issue.

You've probably already seen this:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=10273.0
The lrft side bearing isn't hard to remove, I'm also showing the layout.

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Pelagicide

Thank you - that is just what I needed. One more question - the bearings are listed as different part numbers and I'm guessing different sizes - I have the correct bearing for the right side but now need to know what the other one is as I'm just guessing here but putting an ABEC 7 in one side and leaving the other as stock probably won't improve the casting any.