Okuma Helios Spinner Service - Don't Try This at Home!

Started by nelz, December 01, 2018, 08:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

I just completed servicing my first gen Okuma Helios 40S. After some heavy usage it was starting to feel a bit sluggish and so time for a tune-up. It's an awesome midsize reel, light as a feather, very rigid C-40X carbon frame and rotor, even comes with carbon fiber drag.

Folks, don't try this at home unless you've got plenty of reel-fixin' experience under your belt!

* First, went to remove the rotor nut, it was backwards threaded! Close call, caught it before doing any damage.
* Then, the anti-reverse mechanism did not come out in one piece, fell apart. Getting it back in properly required seemingly endless trial and error. >:(
* Next, the oval-shaped oscillation gear requires precise alignment with the main gear or the reel will never spin again! There's supposed to be a mark on the frame to line things up right... it was missing. Again, putting it back in properly took quite a bit of trial and error. ::)

Again, great little reel, but servicing is not for the faint of heart!

reel man

I feel your pain.  Similar struggle with a Diawa Whisker with the level wind in side and parts that can go in 2 directions. Had to lock the door to my tackle room and disconnect the phone.