Intl 30 - clunking in free spool - alternate solution

Started by Fishead, August 28, 2018, 08:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishead

Alan, thanks for helping me get the shims! I was ready to give up after trying many different configurations of the shims and the (()) washers with no success. As I was looking over the reel spool, I noticed the heads of the 4 screws holding the clicker plate on the spool were protruding more than I thought they should. I removed the clicker plate and went about enlarging the holes with a counter sink tool. I went just far enough that the screws sat darn near flush with the plate. Put it back together and no more clunking. Live and learn.
If you're not fishing,you're wishing you were!!

Tightlines667

Quote from: Fishead on August 28, 2018, 08:25:12 PM
Alan, thanks for helping me get the shims! I was ready to give up after trying many different configurations of the shims and the (()) washers with no success. As I was looking over the reel spool, I noticed the heads of the 4 screws holding the clicker plate on the spool were protruding more than I thought they should. I removed the clicker plate and went about enlarging the holes with a counter sink tool. I went just far enough that the screws sat darn near flush with the plate. Put it back together and no more clunking. Live and learn.

The ratchet plate should have countersunk holes on one side, that accept the 4 screws so they are perfectly flush.  If the screws stick up, they can rub on the main gear. 

BTW, as an alternative to replacing a worn ratchet plate, one can flip the plate over, and use a countersink bit, in a drill vise with a jig to hold the plate, and use another older plate as a template to drill 4 new holes on the otherside of the plate.  Flipping the plate will expose crisp new round portions of the holes and save $10 and the time it takes to order a new plate. 

Just a thought.

Glad you got it sorted.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!