113 Drag Fade

Started by Rivverrat, September 03, 2018, 06:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Have any of you had extended battles with a 4/0 at high drag ?  20 lbs. & up to 25 lbs. of drag ?   If so did you notice drag fade. Needing to wrap my head around this so I have the right gear with me in a couple of weeks.  As prolific as this reel is I find it impossible that there would not be any here who are in the know on this topic... Jeff 

FatTuna

What are you targeting that you are worried about drag fade?

I think that in a real world setting, drag loss isn't a major consideration. There are a million things that can go wrong when you are on a fish. Everything from a chafed leader, straightened out hook, cracked hook, fish going under the boat or into structure, a knot failing, crimp pulling, etc. Personally, I would put my focus on those variables first. I'm not saying that drag loss doesn't exist but I don't think you need to worry about it.

Rivverrat

Thanks, for that very logical reply. It only helps what I was already thinking. Reason for asking this is I'm confident in my rigging & all other facets of my gear. It's just that I have not pushed a 4/0, Baja / US113 to the level my reels will see in this instance. Most of my fishing is fresh water, river fishing for cats.

Regarding the fish this will be very large catfish over & sharks at the rivers mouth. I will have one larger reel & small spinning rig. A 4/0 size reel would be the reel in my hands while in a small 16' boat.

Swami805

I think now with the newer drag materials drag fade isn't really a concern. Back in the day of leather,cork and whatever else it was an issue.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

FatTuna

I can only speak from my experiences but I've never noticed any type of drag loss before. Maybe the guys that are big into standup fishing from a fixed location will claim otherwise.

I think you can only prepare so much. I thought I had lost a fish every way possible until two night ago when I had a bat fly into my line and get tangled mid-fight......

I make adjustments to my gear once I encounter a new problem or someone shows me a better way to do it.  

Dominick

Holy batfish Batman, that's a new one.   :D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Rivverrat

Quote from: FatTuna on September 03, 2018, 07:56:41 PM

I make adjustments to my gear once I encounter a new problem or someone shows me a better way to do it.  

That's the best way.

Do keep in mind this is a new to me situation regarding the use of my Baja / US113. While I will be from the bank a lot the boat will always be close at hand. So the chance of of this actually  being an issue with this reel
  are really slim to none. I'm always curious about stuff of this nature. So I ask... Jeff

Swami805

The beauty of the 16' boat is when you hook something big it will tow the boat to slow it down too. sounds like fun!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Rivverrat

Quote from: Swami805 on September 03, 2018, 09:46:39 PM
The beauty of the 16' boat is when you hook something big it will tow the boat to slow it down too. sounds like fun!

This has happened... Jeff

Three se7ens

Quote from: Rivverrat on September 03, 2018, 09:51:42 PM
Quote from: Swami805 on September 03, 2018, 09:46:39 PM

This has happened... Jeff

Few years back I hooked into a 10' tiger shark from a 23' boat with 5 people in it.  It drug the boat a mile and a half from where I hooked it...

Rivverrat

Quote from: Three se7ens on September 03, 2018, 10:10:14 PM
  Few years back I hooked into a 10' tiger shark from a 23' boat with 5 people in it.  It drug the boat a mile and a half from where I hooked it...

Dang a 10' Tiger did that. That's pretty cool. It really doesnt take much effort to drag my little aluminum boats through the shallow here on the Kansas River . But a mile or more is a pretty good distance with 23' boat & a load