112H2 Drag Star/Gear Sleeve

Started by kmstorm64, August 29, 2018, 01:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmstorm64

Question for the community. Last night I was playing with a 112H2 I have. Not knowing any better I took the drag star off. Thinking I would replace it with a 10-505, but it wouldn't go on. Hmm, so I tried a 10-66 I had laying around thinking it may be course thread, didn't fit either. So I flipped over the 112H2 Star and it reads 10-112H, is this by chance metric? Which leads to another question I had for this reel, as I wanted to switch out the gear sleeve to Stainless?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks up front!
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

mo65

I don't think I've ever seen a steel gear sleeve for that model...but who knows...maybe someone will enlighten us. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Reel 224

If It's a upgrade then it could have a ss gear sleeve ether in fine or course thread. Tom makes them and also the stars.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

RowdyW

To put a SS gear sleeve in a 112H2 you have to change over to a 112H gear sleeve which a coarse star wheel will fit. On the original H2 sleeve a H2 star wheel should fit. The only difference is the handle mount which is a nut instead of a screw because of a different end on the H2 sleeve.

kmstorm64

Quote from: mo65 on August 29, 2018, 02:39:19 PM
   I don't think I've ever seen a steel gear sleeve for that model...but who knows...maybe someone will enlighten us. 8)

My thought was using the 500/112H Gear Sleeve sold by Pro Challenger or Cortez. I held off disassembling this till I knew more, as maybe this was going to be one of those, this doesn't work with that because... fill in the blank_____________. Hopefully those of you who are far wiser in these matters can shed light to those of us in the Penn dungeon.

mizmo67

It doesn't help that Penn stamped it 10-112H like it would fit on an older 112h...it does not as you have seen. The threading is different and it only fits the 112H2 reel. They should have named it 10-112H2
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

kmstorm64

Quote from: mizmo67 on August 29, 2018, 03:18:06 PM
It doesn't help that Penn stamped it 10-112H like it would fit on an older 112h...it does not as you have seen. The threading is different and it only fits the 112H2 reel. They should have named it 10-112H2

Thank you, I am not crazy or loosing my ability to screw on a star drag(GF says no, I am definitely crazy).  Will the Stainless Gear sleeve/star drag work with the H2's or is this going to be one of those fitment nightmares?

RowdyW

The ss gear sleeve is for the H model but will fit the H2. Your H2 star will not fit the ss sleeve, you will have to get an H model star. The ss sleeves are available in either coarse or fine thread & you will have to get the corresponding star. The ss sleeve has a different attachment for the handle. It uses the screw from the H model instead of the nut from the H2 model.        Rudy

mikeysm

It's made in china and it's metric.

Mike

RowdyW

Quote from: mikeysm on August 30, 2018, 01:55:44 AM
It's made in china and it's metric.

Mike
Not all metric. The screws in the side plates are still 5-40 & all internals are interchangeable.