Braid line

Started by Reel 224, August 29, 2018, 02:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Has anyone had the experience of braid line cutting through fuji guides, 30minutes. If so what fuji guides was it.

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

droppedit

I've used Fuji Hardalloy and Aluminum Oxide for years with no problems or returns. My best test was giving a couple of rods to charter / party boat captains to to use. I know one will not use braid but his rod has hardalloy on it and another uses the Aluminum Oxide with braid for about 5 years now. Life is good for them. On the higher end rods I only use Silicon Nitrade or better and only Fuji guides. I've been building for over 30 years now and have 3 Fuji's in the shop that have failed, all of them have been from damage to the frame. I've had a few more Amtack that the rings have chiped, all by being dropped or stepped on. I try not to use the lower quality components unless the customer requests them. Even then I try to talk them out of it. Spend a few dollars more and you can sleep better at night.
Hope this helps.

Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

Reel 224

Thanks for that. I use only Fuji guides on all my rods myself and no problem with any so far.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Jeri

We've been using Fuji guides exclusively for the last 12+ years, not a single issue with them. For 2 years before we made the change-over we used PacBay, and had a number of issues with frame integrity.

Since switching over, we no longer build with anything else, I'm not prepared to put our company name on a rod without Fuji guides. We've used everything from Aluminium Oxide, right up to Silicon Carbide inserts, never had an issue with braid and the guides. Now building our long surf rods for exclusive use with braid, and SiC guides, and they work a dream. Distance, low line wear and absolutely no wind-knots - some of our rods are used for pure maximum competition distance, others for heavy duty surf fishing like sharks, and no problems with Fuji's products.

Cheers from sunny Africa.

Cor

I also use Fuji and very seldom others.   Have never experienced braid cutting any kind of guide whatsoever.

As a matter of interest, mono cuts Stainless Steel guides.    When constantly spinning with fairly heavy lures which keep tension on the line during retrieve, it does not take long to make deep grooves in the Stainless.   Perhaps braid would do the same.

I have never figured how that happens, perhaps salt on the line, but it's a known fact amongst spin fisherman here.
Cornelis

Jeri

There have been a lot of reported issues with PacBay Minimas and braid causing problems with grooving. Have seen a couple of rods fitted with these rings through the workshop: Minimas off & Fujis on. Problem cured.

I think that as braided spectra/dymeena is a woven material, It probably carries more salt and grit/silt from the water onto the rings/guides - hence the grooving problem, as well as the fact that stainless steel inserts are never going to be as hard as even the lowest grade ceramic insert.

oc1

I still think mono is more abrasive than spectra when comparing lines of similar diameter.  Spectra may cut more than mono when comparing lines of similar breaking strength.
-steve