Conolon trolling rod

Started by mikeysm, August 29, 2018, 07:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeysm

I am building a vintage conolon trolling rod 20-30 pound blank. I'm looking for a set of guides for my project.  I have everthing but the guides. I am looking for ideas on Which guides to use.

Mike

seacane

I have four Allan roller guides plus a tip that I can give you. They are in rough cosmetic shape but probably could be cleaned up and I believe would be more than serviceable. If you would like to have them please PM your address and I will mail them to you.
Regards

mikeysm

No thanks I just want to know what type of guides they used fot that time period. I can find them if I know what to look for.

Mike

thorhammer

I have a vintage Conolon, factory wrapped with Perfection ring guides, chrome over SS. PAC Bay makes these too.

John

Swami805

Conolon made rods for a long time. If you want period correct knowing the approximate age would be helpful. Also roller or ring?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

seacane

There is one on ebay titled "Rare Vintage Garcia Conolon Big Game Saltwater Rod-75" " and it claims to be all original.

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Swami805

Conolon was one of the 1st to make fiberglass rods so they can be very old, I believe they started a few years after WW2. They were later bought by Garcia. Could be old enough to still use agate guides or something. Might be able to roughly date it from a decal if there is one.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

54bullseye

I have Garcia Conolon rods with both Mildrum and Allan guides both are original.  John Taylor

mikeysm

This blank was made just before they closed down 1982.

Mike