Penn Long Beach 60 - redo

Started by Gobi King, August 30, 2018, 06:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

whether it makes a difference i don't know, but my first job was in a tire shop so I cross tighten bridge and plate screws partially then cinch all down when everbody  is in.
certainly makes a difference with bridge alignment in some cases where the last screw won't center.

Gfish

Only had one issue like that on a 60, but it was pretty obvious: the side-plate was broken - crushed. After replacing it, discovered the spool was also tweaked, though you couldn't see it by looking, or by rolling on a flat surface, only by measuring side to side widths. The first thing I'd do is what you n' John are talkin bout. Then check spool side to side spool alignment, could be some bushing adjustment is needed or some shimming thereof.
There's a possibility the frame got tweaked, but I don't know howta check for that. Are the rings flat?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

thorhammer

I'm following this one closely- just pulled a 65 out of the green bath that is having similar issues....

Gobi King

gfish, danke, I will do the diagnostics next week when I am back from work/fishing trip
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

foakes

I know it is old school and sounds a little hoakie —

But I am with John on the tightening in a measured and careful star pattern —

And most times the screws in the stand and posts do not need to be super tightened down — just evenly snug.

My process on these is to first make sure the head side bushing is tight —

Attach the posts and stand to the head side —

Drop in the spool —

Attach the tail plate side with the adjustable spring bushing just barely threaded in — and the screws in place — snug up in a star pattern — paying attention to freespool and any rubbing.

I typically do the screws at East and West first — not the stand ones yet.

If, when doing the final "snugging" up of the frame — and if there is any rubbing indicating a frame assembly issue — I back off each screw 1/4 turn — then holding both plates and frame in my hands — tweak/hand torque the frame back and forth until I hopefully get no rubbing — then carefully snug all of the screws.  Then center the spool with the adjuster.

If there are still issues of rubbing — I look to the spool, tweaked rings, bent stand, outboard spool adjustment, etc..

Most of our little to medium size Penns can be approached in this manner — LB's, Beachmasters, Baymasters, Senators,Surfmasters—even quick take-apart reels like the Squidder, Jigmasters, and Surfmasters.

Wire can also be hard on certain spools — and sometimes the spool just needs to be replaced.

Other times, the bushings can be worn out.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

ez2cdave

Quote from: Gobi King on August 31, 2018, 12:32:53 PMFinally done, it took me 5 tries,

CF Drag - drag thickness was fine, as I dropped it in, the key did not align inside the gear. Fixed that reassemble it.

take 3 - found that I flipped the pinion gear, off came everything and reassembled it again.

take 4 - I could not remember if I had applied some cals to the gear base, off came everything again.

take 5 - holding all the screws as I rotated the plate I wished I was a hindu goddess with extra hands. torqued all the screws down and wiped the handle and put some grease in the screw holes and phew, done.

Think of it as "good practice" . . . I bet it got easier every time !

Tight Lines !

Gobi King

Lol, yes sir, I enjoy taking these apart and putting back together.
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I will get back to reels after my next trip to Gulf Shores this weekend.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan