Alans gear sleeve hole to high for pin on stock bridge

Started by mikeysm, September 02, 2018, 02:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeysm

I recieved the new bridge today. Here is a picture the pin only goes in a little ways.

Reel 224

I'm wondering if that specific gear sleeve is either a little thicker at the base (anti reverse gear end) or just drilled a little bit off. Since no one has had this problem......................Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

mikeysm

As I said in a earlier post I had to fix two others prior to this one. I purchased all of the bridges from mystic. They all were the new style bridge shaft.

Mike

Reel 224

Quote from: mikeysm on September 07, 2018, 01:45:19 AM
As I said in a earlier post I had to fix two others prior to this one. I purchased all of the bridges from mystic. They all were the new style bridge shaft.

Mike

Mike: Please listen, I know your frustrated at the situation and I understand. I just was offering a thought about The Gear Sleeve being the part that is off, In that ones case. Not the bridge. I hope you can find a good solution to the problem. I think Sal and Alan will find and correct the problem.

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Alto Mare

Quote from: mikeysm on September 07, 2018, 12:24:24 AM
I recieved the new bridge today. Here is a picture the pin only goes in a little ways.

Mike, when you get a chance, do you mind giving me these 3 dimensions? these would be from the top of the bridge plate of course:

Thanks!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Black Pearl

Quote from: mikeysm on September 07, 2018, 12:24:24 AM

Well, I guess this new bridge from Mystic does not work with my Jigmaster sleeve. Sorry for the problem, Would you mind send back all the sleeves you have brought from me, and I will refund your payment to you. Of course, I will send you a return label for shipping.

I will talk to Mo about this issue. You can always purchase Alan T's sleeve with two holes from Mo. That should solve your problem.

By the way, some people might say that this is not a good customer service because I just want to refund the money back. Please understand that I can't just take the old sleeve back and drill a second hole, and it does not work that way. I can have them make a second hole on a new production, and I have not heard any problem on this sleeve for the past 2.5 years. This is the first. It is just your luck :). First was my gear set and now sleeve.

mikeysm

I will get the measurments as soon as I can I have all the tools at work. As for the sleeves I modified two bridges already and installed.  I only have this one left.

day0ne

Listen to Mizmo. She has the solution and it isn't uncommon.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

mikeysm

Thickness at the pin  grove is .125
A. Top  .185
B. Middle  .100
C. Bottom  .665

The problem is the thickness of the shaft at three pin hole. I turned the sleeve over and slid it down to see if the pin would go in and it did not. The shaft on the newer bridge is thicker at the pin and not squared of like the old one.

Alto Mare

Thanks for checking!
I'm not questioning Mo, you or anyone else, I'm just showing what I have.
These are my measurements:

Could be the thickness of the post, but i'm not sure.
The .740" is the number that got me :-\.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mizmo67

Copies of some of my notes in PM's to Sal and Alan C. plus added thoughts...

We've had the issue previously..It's literally why some of Alan T's sleeves have two hole positions.

If there is only one hole and the hole isn't placed with the thicker necked bridge stud in mind...it protrudes into where the pin seats. It has to be perfectly placed.
So yeah..the problem is where the hole is, unfortunately at the moment it's the same issue. On older style with the skinnier neck it's a non-issue.

Penn has the hole in the right place to fit on either bridge stud on their brass sleeves.

If I recall when we worked it out for Alan T...it had to be lined up sort of centered on the line made be the flat edge of the sleeve where it starts to round out?
I'd have to go peer at a sleeve again to remember that bit.

Some of the machinists just didn't understand how precise the hole had to be placed. (I don't know if they had a sample bridge(s) to work with)
And we saw variation in where the hole was put whenever the machinist who made them was changed.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

mikeysm

The 9/0 115 has the same problems also. I had to file the grove in the shaft to get Alan T's 9/0 gear sleeve to fit.

Mike

mikeysm

Here is what your going to need to get the sleeve to fit. I had to take quite a bit off so it was in and out of the drill until it fit. I takes forever by hand. You will need a drill with a good chuck and a file small enough to fit the grove.

Mike

mizmo67

Can you post a pic of the work you did on the shaft neck? Would love to see that for reference, too.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Reel 224

Great Mike! So would it be better to place it in a table vice and drill it out with a drill press. Or does it need relief also on the gear sleeve notch?

Joe