114H & 349h & BlueFin over 100 pounds

Started by funhog, September 05, 2018, 06:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

funhog

I have several of these reels with loaded with braid & 5-stack cf drags and they have performed well on the Blue Fin I've caught the last couple of yrs. But, only a few were in the 100 pound range. Obviously they were a lot of work not being two speeds and I was on a private boat. I have two 2.5 day trips coming up in the next 30 days out of San Diego. Private charters w/ 22 guys. Everyone is talking new gear and two speeds. The fish being caught dropping Flatfall lures at night behind San Clemente Island range from 50-250+.
MY Question.: How big of a BF tuna do you think these reels can legitimately handle. I hate spending big money on gear I will seldom use . Renting is an option, so is Craigs List and the likes.   

thorhammer

no idea how you set up the 114H's, but they have same guts as a 9/0. I would get a solid frame and an SS gear sleeve and let us know if you are able to break it! You'll only be in another $125 or so vs $350 and up for even a used two-speed. My guess is "no, you can't break it", if using 100lb braid or under...that setup should pull you 35lbs drag or better, I would think, perfect for 100lb braid.

Swami805

Bring them but most boats have big gear on board you can use especially if you're kite fishing. On those trips you likely will only get one maybe two shots on the kite or ballon. Make the best of it with the heaviest gear you can muster. You could use those fishing a flatfall jig but you'll be in a world of hurt. It's a big investment in time and money already spent might as well spend a little more, bites are few and far between
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mikeysm

The 114 with Randy frame kit is hard to beat. The 349 with his 349 frame kit is tough to beat also. It's way lighter than the 114 but not as strong. Each one has its place. But for your fishing needs 114 with the frame kit is all you need to catch fish that size.

Mike

Donnyboat

Hi John, these good people have covered it all, the 114 is a tough reel & narrower than the 9/0, so it is easier to manage, would hold about 500 M of 100Lbs Braid, Randy is a good man to deal with, the 349 is also a good strong reel, but the line copacity, would be a consurn, look after the 349 it is really a collectors item, good luck with you trips you have coming up, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Jim Fujitani

There is another option not brought up yet.  Borrow equipment from an Ohana member close by, if one is near.

Swami already mentioned that the boats typically have their own kite rigs.  Two speed reels are nice to gain line when necessary or reeling up from depths.  But historical fishers (like Zane Grey, et al) conquered heavy big fish with one speed reels.  Beefed up internals on your reels will improve your chances.

Two of my heavy rigs are loaned out, currently on a 3-day trip, hopefully catching BFT.  The rods and 2-speed reels are what I used for trolling rotations and bait fishing Isla Guadalupe YFT.  I bought nothing new except some line (one reel did need filling with hollow spectra) and heavy fluorocarbon "bite leaders".  My partners bought their own flatfalls and knife jigs, and they already own ringed bait hooks.  I helped crimp some "bite leaders" and prep some wind-on bait rigs. 

The rods maybe a little short and have roller guides, but like you, Funhog, I am not willing to drop $250-400 per rod for equipment that I may not use for another year.  If I lived closer to SD, that money could go toward another 3-5 day trip.

alantani

go with a makaira 20 or penn 20 visx, 100 pound braid, 100 pound topshot, 30 pounds of drag at strike, 50 pounds of drag at full, and united  composites viper rod or seeker 2x4. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

funhog

The trip is tomorrow night on the Relentless out of H&M Landing. Everyone and captain ( Private charter) has decided to head south and chase school size fish and avoid the San Clemente Isl. area. The wind will be blowing pretty hard for the next 5-days ( 17 to 24mph all day and night with a 7-9 ft swell according to windyty.com. This will be interesting?  good conditions for an upset stomach. and a little nausea.   
Thanks for everyone's reply on Reel size for extra large fish. I borrowed a 30 & 50 international for an 11-day trip on the Royal Star many yrs ago and watch a large wave send 20+ rods & reels sliding down the non-skid deck toward the stern. Including the two I borrowed. It cost an arm and a leg to have new side plates ordered and put on. But the friendship and respect of a friend is what matted most. I think the gear I have will work for this trip. If the fishing plan changes I rent at the dock. I'll look for a deal later this winter. I'll let you know how it went on Tuesday.     

Swami805

Have a great trip! If the weather is up look on the bright side, more room at the rail!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

funhog

Left work early yesterday- packed up all my gear and got a text from the charter master for our group of 12 at 1:20pm.
" Trip was cancelled due to mechanical (engine)issues with the boat and sorry, but we'd have to pick another date". All Friday thru Sunday dates are already booked for the season and they want us to pick a Sunday night to Wednesday morning date? Its a legit landing and boat. Thats the good , the bad , and the ugly.
The weather sucks off shore this weekend, and I won't be wollowing off-shore on a broken boat sea sick  - now we would have to take vacation days and on short notice - no extra day comp has been mentioned(yet).
Never had this happen before, I'm sure its has with the San Diego fleet, My $890 is resting in limbo right now, Im going to the beach today and we'll see how this all pans out later.