Pacific Dawn 2-day prep and report

Started by pjstevko, April 03, 2024, 07:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sciaenops

Quote from: pjstevko on April 09, 2024, 04:11:52 PMPaired down my tackle to the jig bag only! I feel naked without 2 years worth of gear with me

Likely a very good move. The boat is not one of the larger hulls down there, & w/a full load of 18, tackle room will be at a premium. Bunk room is nice.

rogan

Bummer you had to switch boats. Have a great trip anyway and catch some fish!

Crab Pot

Buy it nice or buy it twice.

pjstevko

The short story is I brought home the most expensive bag of rockfish ever! We covered over 400 miles searching and never found the tuna. We left the dock on Tues at 11:30am, stopped once for 3 minutes at 2am but the tuna passed by quickly then we kept driving until 2:30pm on Wed when we stopped at the 60 mile bank to do some rockfishing. That's right, we drove 26 hours looking for tuna and stopped for 2 hours to catch a couple reds and speckled rockfish then went on the hunt again. The captain worked his #### off to try and find the fish but they were no where to be found.  None of the boats that were out found them either. The Independence hasn't seen tuna in over 10 days. They returned from a 5 day the morning we left and they only caught rockfish and halibut. It's tough of there right now....

Brewcrafter

Bill B

Damn PJ. To go from no boat to back up boat to 6 rockfish. That's heartbreaking. Well you do have July coming up. I do have to ask...did you at least use the Mak 20 to drop bombs on the rockfish 😱
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

MarkT

Bring back the Albacore! I'm so over those BFT being BFT!  Was Loust running it? I loved him when was a deckhand on the Excel and the captain of the Tomahawk before getting the Pacific Dawn.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

pjstevko

Loust was the captain and his son Charlie was driving as well.  Seems like a genuinely nice guy!

Bill I caught most of my rockfish on a 250g SK jig on my 30# outfit

Crab Pot

Damn, I had a 4 day like that PJ.

Came home with so much Mexican White Fish, which we don't have up here, that I was giving bags of it away.

Last year was rough as well, first trip after Hurricane Hillary.

We pay our dues to be rewarded in the future....

So I'm told.

Steve
Buy it nice or buy it twice.