Corrosion protect for electronics

Started by ScottOz, January 03, 2019, 07:01:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottOz

Hi Guy's, I recently got a new sounder and would like to know what is safe to use on the plugs to help prevent any corrosion problems in the years to come. I have yamalube grease, reelx and inox mx3 in my arsenal for reel maintenance. Also I am in a small open boat so the sounder gets a fair bit of spray on rough days. What's the best way to clean off the head unit when it's covered in dried sea spray.
Cheers Scott

David Hall

Dielectric grease is what I use. Haven't had any corrosion issues on any of my electronics.  Just goop it in to the connection and plug it in and twist it locked.  Done, forget about it won't be a problem.

Tiddlerbasher

From past experiences with electronics and vehicle electrics I broadly agree with David - silicone based grease.

If you want a detailed article on various greases/protectors:
https://www.w8ji.com/dielectric_grease_vs_conductive_grease.htm

theswimmer

Quote from: David Hall on January 03, 2019, 07:15:54 AM
Dielectric grease is what I use. Haven't had any corrosion issues on any of my electronics.  Just goop it in to the connection and plug it in and twist it locked.  Done, forget about it won't be a problem.

This .
My ski boat was rebuilt/reassembled in 1983 . We used dielectric grease on all the dissimilar metals where ever they came in contact with each other as well as all electrical connections , I have had zero problems .
This is a boat that has many aluminum components bolted together with stainless fasteners , also cast iron to aluminum with stainless and I have no fastener failures .Kind of hard to believe really .
David's right , Dielectric works.....
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

gstours

I do agree with using dielectric grease,  I hose the display with Wd-40 and wipe clean.  Cover it to keep the direct spray and rain out when you can.   Butt let it breath from the bottom somehow.

Keta

I have used De-Ox and No Corrode dielectric grease but prefer De-Ox because it is not dark grey.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

ScottOz

Thanks gents. Will get some of that grease.
Cheers Scott

Cuttyhunker

Doomed from childhood

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!