Found some and they were chewin for a change!

Started by STRIPER LOU, September 15, 2018, 02:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

Fishing has been tough this season for Striped Bass. Basically its been a slow pick with a fish here and there and had a trip or 2 with no hits and no fish! Plenty of little guys around though.

Been doing this for a long time and one starts to question their ability.

Talking to several of the top charter captains it pretty much came down to the same, very few bass and not booking but a handful of charters to target them. Any only doing so at nite during optimal tides.

Certain area's have had fish but they're far and few in between. Montauk, CC Canal, And Block to name a few.

I always try to fish the upside of a hurricane if conditions permit as it really seems to put fish on the feed.

Richard and I got out yesterday and it ended up being epic. No monsters, but fish in the 15 to 25lb range and one 30.
We got a late start as I figured we get blown out one way or another. Hit the local reefs and it was NADA!
Decided to head east in bumpy conditions, put on our vests and went for it. Got to the corner of the Island and fish were all over the top. Mostly blues and albies. Caught a bunch of blues as one of the neighbors wanted some for the smoker and released a few dozen or so. Caught some albies on spinning gear and released them all.

Great fun but not what we were looing for. Decided to hit another spot along the Island which is good this time of year, especially with live bunker. No bait so we went to the spoons on leadcore. Big rollers coming in, fishable but with caution. Man, they were in there big time. We quit after 26 bass, releasing all but 2 and they were still chewing. Decided it best to get out of there than continue to fish as the rollers were getting huge!

Bumpy, but not scary on the way home as it was a quarter chop from the rear on the starboard side. We were both beat. Between the weather and reeling in over 50 fish we were tired and happy.

Not a great pic but a bumpy one on the cell. A shot of the gold Otter Spoon that did the damage. I'd like to hit it again but I'm thinking the rollers are only going to get worse than better. The down side of the hurricane doesn't usually fish as well. Water temps were warm at 73 deg.

Richard called me twice as he's chompin at the bit to do it again. We'll see what happens?

All have a great day,  ..  Lou

mizmo67

Stripers love it when it's rough or been rough..the bottom is all stirred up and kicks their foraging into high gear.

Nice to see fish being caught!
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

mo65

Way ta go Lou! I've been struggling this year trying to time a good bite...hoping we can time the low pressure from Florence and find success. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

David Hall

conchydong

Quote from: David Hall on September 15, 2018, 04:13:13 PM
Well done Lou!  That's hard core fishing.

You mean that's hardcore leadcore fishing. ;D

Nice work.

Scott

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

oc1

Good going Lou.  When the barometer starts falling fish, people and other animals get a bit over-excited and irrational.  
-steve

Three se7ens

Nice Lou!  Glad you finally got on some good fish. 

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Congratulations Lou.  You paid a lot of dues earlier this season and you really earned those fish!  I hope that your charter captain friends are grateful that you found the fish for them.  You probably just doubled their bookings for the rest of the season!