Penn 113h 4/0 build Questions, BROKE... w/ pics

Started by wideopenoutdoors, September 11, 2018, 09:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wideopenoutdoors

Hi all,
I have fished with Penn 4/0 Senators almost exclusivley, the original black framed 113, the red special 113h and the 113hlw. I recently found out about people customizing and upgrading them. I am currently using a red framed Special Senator 113h with the post frame on my go to rod. I mostly bottom fish 30-150 feet for groupers and snappers. I recently bought a Accurate full frame to replace the post frame and am planning on Cortez side plates in the future as well as the graphite spool. For internal upgrades im thinking a 7+1 drag stack along with a double dog anti-reverse and a new gear sleeve. Im also thinking about stainless gears, i was looking at the 4.0:1 but was wondering if the 4.30:1 from the 113hn Baja will fit inside the 113h? In some areas where we fish ( Florida Middle Grounds) the barracuda are thick and its not uncommon to get just the head of the fish to the boat, i was hoping the fast retrieve would help with this.
"your not on a fishing show, reel it in!"

swill88

Welcome wideopenoutdoors...

The 113HN Baja Special gear won't work in 113h.

There are some other gear choices and drag upgrades available.  Sounds like you are on the right track!  Enjoy and share pictures.

Steve

scrinch

I know you said that you already bought an accuframe, but.....
if you bought a Baja Special (or US113N) you would get the aluminum frame, upgraded drags, stainless main gear, double dog bridge, and a nice handle without having to buy the upgrades.  ???

alantani

unfortunately, the 113hn gears will not fit in the 113h.   and welcome!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

I would get the gear sleeve and drag kit and see how it goes. I LOVE the 4:1 gears, so that would be next. As much as Tom would appreciate you buying a set of plates, I'm confident that the factory plates will work just fine. If you want them for the bling, then you are in for a wild ride with the 113H, the sky is the limit; but, if you are trying to get the reel to where you need it there is a more systematic approach.

The 113HN, or any of the US Senators, are really nice reels, and if you need even more strength, Tom has a bridge that transforms the reel into a whole new beast.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

wideopenoutdoors

Thanks guys! I kinda figured after looking at the 113hn gears that they wouldn't be able to work in the 113h. I will look into the Baja a second time, something about a narrow reel doesn't sit right. I also have several other reels that are going to be getting updates at some point, two 113hlw we use for trolling, and a couple 114h we have on Electra-mates for deep dropping.

As far as the 113h I'm working on i think the drag and the sleeve might be the next upgrade I do.

Swami805

Might be a good idea to get the double dog bridge too, that will be the weak link with the upgraded drag. The gear sleeve is only as good as the dog holding it.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

wideopenoutdoors

The Accurate frames came in the mail and man they are nice. I dont have a picture of them yet, but here is what i am working on currently, some 113h and 114h, swapping a post frame 113h to a half frame, and combining the best parts from 6 114h to make 3 good 114h.

thorhammer

Nice going! Not sure where you got your Accurate frames, But Randy Pauly here on the site, Vintage Offshore Tackle, is the man when it comes to frames for these conversions. He is outstanding to deal with, and if he tells you an item is a 9 cosmetically, you better break out a magnifier to find out why. He likely has the largest selection of Accurate and Tib frames available anywhere, plus Newell conversion kits.

John

wideopenoutdoors

The side plates came in from Cortez over the weekend! and wow they are nice! im looking at a 7+1 keyed drag stack along with a stainless gear sleeve and stainless gears, My question is will the double dogs and stainless bridge/saddles be necessary or can i reuse the original brass pieces ? Also in my lurking on this site i keep seeing "grouper special" reels but cant seem to figure out what makes them special, im hoping someone can explain this.

thorhammer

good idea to use SS dogs if you use SS sleeve; the brass will wear. SS yoke is good idea. they will work ok in short term but you will need to replace at some point- the dogs are cheap and you don't want to lose AR on a fish....

The Grouper Special, I believe, was first built by Sal, and is a bearing-model 113 (black plates) that he put all the goodies in available for that drive train- it has a lower gear but he used steel main, if not SS, and other steel or SS parts inside, carbonfibre drag upgrade, and I think a narrow frame with 66LB spool to narrow it, and a power handle. So, it resulted in a really strong, low geared winch for pulling grouper out of rocks. The 113 in stock configuration has a low (maybe lowest, or the LB68), power to weight ratio. With steel bits, narrowing for braid use, and carbon upgrade, Sal probably boosted the reel's capability 50% into the 65, maybe 80 lb, braided line realm.

I'm sure he'll be along directly with that link. A worthy enough endeavor, creatively, but I'd rather spend the money on a 113H with a power handle upgrade from Alan, Adam or Ted as you fancy.

thorhammer

thorhammer

wideopenoutdoors

wideopenoutdoors

Going to be assembling the reels today and i have a couple of questions.
First: to the new bearings need to be packed with grease or can  i just put reel lube on them and go. second part of the question can the be hand packed or do i need the little tool?
Second question: i cant seem to figure out what the plastic bushing, the o-ring or the little plastic cap go to any help with that would be appreciated.
third question: i think i need a set of snap ring pliers to disassemble the clicker mechanism and then re-assemble it? maybe someone familair with toms work can help out.
the Cortez side plates and the hardware that came with them appears to be of excellent quality!