Penn 113h 4/0 build Questions, BROKE... w/ pics

Started by wideopenoutdoors, September 11, 2018, 09:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wideopenoutdoors

Foakes called it!

took the reel apart tonight and the eared washer was on top of the brass gear and the drag washer above the eared metal washer was destroyed! i pulled a wad of the carbon fiber out of the grease. i reassembled the reel and will test tomorrow!
"your not on a fishing show, reel it in!"

gstours

Bestof luck fishing.  a thing ive learnrd is to use a short piece of tubing and after assembling the bridge push the piece of tubing over the assembled stack down on the gearsleeve,  if it fist snug good,  otherwisa placea little pressure on the pc of tube sticking out the endplate hole.   after the sideplate-bridge 4 screws are installed.  Right the side plate and install the dragspacer tube and a belleville then the star fairly loosely....   This wat the earred washers can not move after your final inspection before tipping it over....
   Overkill,  Dumb,  Butt it works for me. ;)

wideopenoutdoors

Update,
I didn't realize the one reel didn't have the washer under the main Gear, i tested the drag and am getting great results. However, i do have a problem with the Blue and silver reel.
Problem 1: it appears the main gear was made for a previous Senator and is shorter and some of the drag washers (5 stack) stick out of the gear, Is this  A problem? I attached a photo of what im talking about.
Problem 2: the handle has some slop on the gear sleeve, im worried this will eventually lead to failure of the bronze.
Im considering going with all new stainless internals - something like prochallenger sells but nit sure if its necessary.

RowdyW

It looks like your drag stack is out of order. You should end up with a keyed washer on top. The order is CF,keyed,CF, eared,CF,keyed,CF, eared,CF,keyed. It's ok for the last CF & keyed washer to be above the main gear. The last eared washer can NOT be above the main gear. The slop in the handle means the gear sleeve or the handle is worn out. You have to replace either the gear sleeve or the handle or both. I would go with a ss gear sleeve first.

wideopenoutdoors

So I ended up ordering a Stainless Double Dog bridge and Gear Sleeve from Mystic Reel Parts. I also saw it said that with the gear sleeve i bought the flat spots are deeper and that i can run additional drag washers? is this correct? I ordered the 98-320At gear sleeve. i currently have the 5+1 on that reel (its the blue Side plated one).

foakes

Whatever Mystic tells you, or states on their website — is 100% accurate.

Most of the folks on the Alan Tani Site, know exactly what they are doing.

You can always count on years of experience, coupled with solid integrity.

This is true with most things in Life — not just reels.

Plus, the most reliable and quickest way we all learn anything — is by relying on trusted experts who share their knowledge, their skills, and their time.

This, paired with our own common sense, and a sense of who to trust — will get the job ✅ done.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

i have a thin metal washer and a thin carbon fiber washer can go underneath.  send a pm if you want set.  they really don't make that much difference, though it is nice.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wideopenoutdoors

Alan- I sent you a PM.

I think the next step for these reels will be a custom handle!

Gfish

Alright!
Not tryin to get you to spend more $, but when it comes to performance it's hard to beat a Pro Challenger HX gear set. These 'er stainless steel and have only keyed to the gear sleeve s.s. washers and keyed to the gear c-tex drag washers. I have 'em in Jigmasters and 1 set in a 113H. They ramp-up very slowly and are smooth as can be, especially those for the 113H.

Also, if you keep the 5+1, I've found that though not as smooth and adjustible as the HX, for me the final drag number is slightly higher than that of the HX, with the 5+1. Also, the top 2 washers(delrin & wavey bellevile for me) as well as the under-the-gear washer(delrin for me) are important to get right.

I played around with my Jiggies, testing #of turns to lockdown in 1/5 increments(point to point on the star), drag #'s at each increment and final drag numbers, after starting at 1lb. I used diffrent bridges, gear sleeves, and washer arrangements and mixed parts around as much as I could. All on a stock 500. For me the cone(convex?) belliville washers on top and the stock Penn under-the-gear washers inhibited performance... Highest drag number:the 5+1 with a 98-505 brass sleeve. Smoothest: the HX with ss 98-505. The HX only about 1lb. Short of the 5+1 max. drag. Most adjustibility: the HX by far.

However, I don't have a Motive Fabrication-"three sevens"(Adam)- "insert" drag kit to test, and I don't know if he ever made 'em for the Jigmasters. Opinions from anyone that knows for a 113H, or larger Senator?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

wideopenoutdoors

Update:
These reels have preformed flawlessly.Both reels have caught numerous groupers including a couple past 34", several big mutton snappers, a 75# amberjack and many others without skipping a beat.

wideopenoutdoors

One of these finally kicked the bucket... we have fished them hard the past week. Last weekend they got a workout in the Dry Tortugas with some fairly big red groupers. Yesterday we went to the Florida Middle Grounds. After catching several decent sized red groupers my father hooked a large red snapper, as he was reeling it up the snapper was digging down to the bottom pretty hard. The Fenwick IGFA 30# class rod was nearly doubled over into the water. we could hear the reel popping and breaking. Then the spool started turning free and there was little drag. We managed to get the fish in the boat, but the reel was toast. It appeared the anti reverse dogs had malfunctioned as the drum was basically in freespool all the time. I took it apart today and discovered one dog was both snapped in half AND the post the dog was one was broke off the bridge and the pieces were scattered inside the reel while the second dog had come loose from the spring and the post was bent. This was a stainless bridge w/ integrated double dogs.... looks like 6/0 senators from now on...

Black Pearl

Quote from: wideopenoutdoors on June 27, 2020, 04:25:11 PM
One of these finally kicked the bucket... we have fished them hard the past week. Last weekend they got a workout in the Dry Tortugas with some fairly big red groupers. Yesterday we went to the Florida Middle Grounds. After catching several decent sized red groupers my father hooked a large red snapper, as he was reeling it up the snapper was digging down to the bottom pretty hard. The Fenwick IGFA 30# class rod was nearly doubled over into the water. we could hear the reel popping and breaking. Then the spool started turning free and there was little drag. We managed to get the fish in the boat, but the reel was toast. It appeared the anti reverse dogs had malfunctioned as the drum was basically in freespool all the time. I took it apart today and discovered one dog was both snapped in half AND the post the dog was one was broke off the bridge and the pieces were scattered inside the reel while the second dog had come loose from the spring and the post was bent. This was a stainless bridge w/ integrated double dogs.... looks like 6/0 senators from now on...

Can you PM me with your number, please?

Maxed Out

Sometimes an over abundance of grease can also cause issues with the dogs and springs
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

wideopenoutdoors

After looking at it some more and looking back at how hard we fished this reel we think it was failing for a long time and then just finally let go after days of more abuse. I think I'm going to replace the bridge w/ dogs and keep going for now while I look at possibly going to a different style reel when i fish this hard.....

Multiple times we had groupers and snappers pull line off at full drag, not to mention the 6-8ft long sharks that have gotten hooked and stripped line, i think all this took its toll over the years.