alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Penn 113h 4/0 build Questions
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
September 22, 2019, 11:01:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Penn 113h 4/0 build Questions  (Read 2773 times)
foakes

Sierra National Forest

« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2018, 08:02:04 AM »

Possibly the top eared metal drag washer popped out of the gear grooves — either upon assembly or afterwards.

Pretty common and easy to correct issue, if this is it.

Best,

Fred

“We are all made better and stronger than our excuses”

There are ten reasons to consider when choosing your next fishing reel.

The first is to pick a reel you like — The other nine reasons don’t matter.
wideopenoutdoors

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2018, 06:15:43 PM »

Foakes called it!

took the reel apart tonight and the eared washer was on top of the brass gear and the drag washer above the eared metal washer was destroyed! i pulled a wad of the carbon fiber out of the grease. i reassembled the reel and will test tomorrow!

"your not on a fishing show, reel it in!"
gstours
Firearms Group

« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2018, 10:15:07 AM »

Bestof luck fishing.  a thing ive learnrd is to use a short piece of tubing and after assembling the bridge push the piece of tubing over the assembled stack down on the gearsleeve,  if it fist snug good,  otherwisa placea little pressure on the pc of tube sticking out the endplate hole.   after the sideplate-bridge 4 screws are installed.  Right the side plate and install the dragspacer tube and a belleville then the star fairly loosely....   This wat the earred washers can not move after your final inspection before tipping it over....
   Overkill,  Dumb,  Butt it works for me. Wink
wideopenoutdoors

« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2019, 01:39:02 PM »

Update,
I didn't realize the one reel didn't have the washer under the main Gear, i tested the drag and am getting great results. However, i do have a problem with the Blue and silver reel.
Problem 1: it appears the main gear was made for a previous Senator and is shorter and some of the drag washers (5 stack) stick out of the gear, Is this  A problem? I attached a photo of what im talking about.
Problem 2: the handle has some slop on the gear sleeve, im worried this will eventually lead to failure of the bronze.
Im considering going with all new stainless internals - something like prochallenger sells but nit sure if its necessary.

* IMG_20190506_145454912.jpg (3296.09 KB, 5344x3006 - viewed 17 times.)

RowdyW
Firearms Group

« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2019, 02:17:14 PM »

It looks like your drag stack is out of order. You should end up with a keyed washer on top. The order is CF,keyed,CF, eared,CF,keyed,CF, eared,CF,keyed. It's ok for the last CF & keyed washer to be above the main gear. The last eared washer can NOT be above the main gear. The slop in the handle means the gear sleeve or the handle is worn out. You have to replace either the gear sleeve or the handle or both. I would go with a ss gear sleeve first.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 02:23:12 PM by RowdyW » Logged
wideopenoutdoors

« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2019, 07:44:06 AM »

So I ended up ordering a Stainless Double Dog bridge and Gear Sleeve from Mystic Reel Parts. I also saw it said that with the gear sleeve i bought the flat spots are deeper and that i can run additional drag washers? is this correct? I ordered the 98-320At gear sleeve. i currently have the 5+1 on that reel (its the blue Side plated one).

foakes

Sierra National Forest

« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2019, 08:03:29 AM »

Whatever Mystic tells you, or states on their website — is 100% accurate.

Most of the folks on the Alan Tani Site, know exactly what they are doing.

You can always count on years of experience, coupled with solid integrity.

This is true with most things in Life — not just reels.

Plus, the most reliable and quickest way we all learn anything — is by relying on trusted experts who share their knowledge, their skills, and their time.

This, paired with our own common sense, and a sense of who to trust — will get the job ✅ done.

Best,

Fred

“We are all made better and stronger than our excuses”

There are ten reasons to consider when choosing your next fishing reel.

The first is to pick a reel you like — The other nine reasons don’t matter.
alantani
admin
Administrator

« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2019, 08:04:57 AM »

i have a thin metal washer and a thin carbon fiber washer can go underneath.  send a pm if you want set.  they really don't make that much difference, though it is nice.  

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!
wideopenoutdoors

« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2019, 08:23:45 AM »

Alan- I sent you a PM.

I think the next step for these reels will be a custom handle!

Gfish
Gfish

What? Me worry?

« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2019, 03:07:32 PM »

Alright!
Not tryin to get you to spend more $, but when it comes to performance it's hard to beat a Pro Challenger HX gear set. These 'er stainless steel and have only keyed to the gear sleeve s.s. washers and keyed to the gear c-tex drag washers. I have 'em in Jigmasters and 1 set in a 113H. They ramp-up very slowly and are smooth as can be, especially those for the 113H.

Also, if you keep the 5+1, I've found that though not as smooth and adjustible as the HX, for me the final drag number is slightly higher than that of the HX, with the 5+1. Also, the top 2 washers(delrin & wavey bellevile for me) as well as the under-the-gear washer(delrin for me) are important to get right.

I played around with my Jiggies, testing #of turns to lockdown in 1/5 increments(point to point on the star), drag #'s at each increment and final drag numbers, after starting at 1lb. I used diffrent bridges, gear sleeves, and washer arrangements and mixed parts around as much as I could. All on a stock 500. For me the cone(convex?) belliville washers on top and the stock Penn under-the-gear washers inhibited performance... Highest drag number:the 5+1 with a 98-505 brass sleeve. Smoothest: the HX with ss 98-505. The HX only about 1lb. Short of the 5+1 max. drag. Most adjustibility: the HX by far.

However, I don't have a Motive Fabrication-"three sevens"(Adam)- "insert" drag kit to test, and I don't know if he ever made 'em for the Jigmasters. Opinions from anyone that knows for a 113H, or larger Senator?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 03:14:26 PM by Gfish » Logged

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: