Penn 113h 4/0 build Questions, BROKE... w/ pics

Started by wideopenoutdoors, September 11, 2018, 09:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wideopenoutdoors

Quote from: RowdyW on June 29, 2020, 06:57:24 PM
It looks like a 8 tooth gear sleve. I think that would give alternating dogs. 10 tooth gives simultanious dogs. I have a 113HLW set up with BP 8 tooth sleeve & double dog bridge that the dogs alternate. That puts all the strain on one dog at a time. It looks like the reel still operated on the dog that was left unbroken unless the broken parts jammed in the gears.        Rudy

Correct, it is an 8 tooth sleeve.

On an additional note, an argument could be made that since the gear sleeve was cut all the way to the ratchet the clearance between the gear and the dog was really close and any movement would result in a collision and the turning of the handle would result in the breaking off, or shearing of the post holding the dog. I don't think this is applicable to this situation as I had a thin set of washers under the gear and the drag was LOCKED DOWN TIGHT which would eliminate the gear from rocking and catching the dog.
"your not on a fishing show, reel it in!"

Maxed Out

Perhaps a 10 tooth gear sleeve would solve your issues. Both dogs engaged simultaneously would be better suited for your type of fishing
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

wideopenoutdoors

That is what I'm thinking, although, I may just put it back together how it was and use a 6/0 or a international when fishing this hard.

Alto Mare

Quote from: wideopenoutdoors on June 29, 2020, 07:17:19 PM
Quote from: RowdyW on June 29, 2020, 06:57:24 PM
It looks like a 8 tooth gear sleve. I think that would give alternating dogs. 10 tooth gives simultanious dogs. I have a 113HLW set up with BP 8 tooth sleeve & double dog bridge that the dogs alternate. That puts all the strain on one dog at a time. It looks like the reel still operated on the dog that was left unbroken unless the broken parts jammed in the gears.        Rudy

Correct, it is an 8 tooth sleeve.

On an additional note, an argument could be made that since the gear sleeve was cut all the way to the ratchet the clearance between the gear and the dog was really close and any movement would result in a collision and the turning of the handle would result in the breaking off, or shearing of the post holding the dog. I don't think this is applicable to this situation as I had a thin set of washers under the gear and the drag was LOCKED DOWN TIGHT which would eliminate the gear from rocking and catching the dog.
I don't believe locking down on the drag keeps the gear immobile , since there are so many washers in the gear and one under it... it doesn't take much to cause problems.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

RowdyW

Quote from: wideopenoutdoors on June 29, 2020, 07:28:34 PM
That is what I'm thinking, although, I may just put it back together how it was and use a 6/0 or a international when fishing this hard.
I wonder how to choose which fish can bite on which particular reel. You can't put a note on the bait saying "no fish over 25#'s"on this line".   ::)

wideopenoutdoors

Quote from: RowdyW on June 29, 2020, 08:33:42 PM
I wonder how to choose which fish can bite on which particular reel. You can't put a note on the bait saying "no fish over 25#'s"on this line".   ::)

🤣😎 Valid point, I'll probably just hang up my rods and call it a day from now on 🤣 but in all honesty if I'm in an area where big ones hang out I'll out the 4/0 away. Or keep sending it and see what happens!

wideopenoutdoors

The new gear sleeve and bridge arrived yesterday. I ordered a 10 tooth sleeve so the dogs would act at the same time. We cleaned out the right hand side plate of excess old grease and installed everything with just a couple drops of penn reel lube on the dogs, and left the bearings and gears in penn reel grease. The drag stack was still in good shape so we just greased them Cals and assembled. The star wheel doesn't turn own as far as i remember however, it is still putting out good drag.It was my first time using the Cals, always believing it was not needed(my dad still thinks it is) and am surprised how smooth the drag is now. Three things however....

1) The star wheel is difficult to turn on the new sleeve.
2) Occasionally the drag will have a hard spot or just start getting "jumpy" where it is easy and then hard.....
3) Upon close inspection of the 5+1 stack that we took out of the reel I noticed this eared washers had the tabs bent up, presumably from something we did. But the only thing I can think of was it was at the bottom of the stack and we turned the wheel so far it was bottoming out against the end of the recesses in the gear? 

Gfish

Looks like it. Dude, you got alota torque strength in your hand if that's what happened. Maybe another washer below that eared one will fix it.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Benni3

Quote from: RowdyW on June 29, 2020, 08:33:42 PM
Hehe,,,, ;) I really like that one,,,,,,,,, ;D

wideopenoutdoors

Hi all, been busy working and helping to start a new company. over the last few years these reels have been fished hard with no failures until last saturday. A large red snapper hit my bait and broke the anti reverse. ill share pics tomorrow. I also have acquired an accurate conversions 6/0.... am still wanting a 4/0 magnum...

Maxed Out

Ahhh yes, the elusive magnum 4/0. It's a 113h with 114h gears,drags, and sleeve. Might be easier to find a sasquatch. I think I have 1 hidden away and it cost me a kings ransom about 6 years ago ($425).
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

wideopenoutdoors

Quote from: Maxed Out on July 03, 2023, 11:59:22 PMAhhh yes, the elusive magnum 4/0. It's a 113h with 114h gears,drags, and sleeve. Might be easier to find a sasquatch. I think I have 1 hidden away and it cost me a kings ransom about 6 years ago ($425).

if you decide to sell it, let me know....

wideopenoutdoors

replacement pats have arrived, but between working in the lab 12+ hours each day i havent had time to work on it. hopefully this evening...

alantani

Quote from: wideopenoutdoors on July 15, 2023, 06:37:08 PMreplacement pats have arrived, but between working in the lab 12+ hours each day i havent had time to work on it. hopefully this evening...

i know the feeling.....   :-[
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wideopenoutdoors