New Guy Looking to Build a 100 Pound Kit

Started by Crab Pot, September 11, 2018, 11:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crab Pot

So I got my first real taste of Bluefin Cow Fishing last week off San Clemente Island while on a 3 day trip out of San Diego aboard the Pacific Voyager.

I did end up hooking one but due to my "knob-Ness" I lost it in the first 30 seconds when I dipped my rod tip trying to place my rod butt in my belt. I don't know who was more upset, the captain or me...by his actions it may have been a tie.

Turns out that was the only hook up for the big guys that I'd get that trip but after 2.5 days of hard fishing with my Avet Pro EX 30/2 I knew I wanted another reel.

I'm not hating on Avet, my 20 pound kit Avet SXJ6/4MC is hands down one of my favorites but the Pro EX is too loud and too heavy. Even with the clicker off the reel was making so much noise that my buddy's were teasing me the fish could hear it.

So I'm going to start looking for a more compact and a whole more quite reel for next season.

I fish stock equipment, I do not hot rod my reels. I may in the future but I'm not at that level yet.

The reel I'm looking seriously at is a Shimano Talica 25ii.

However I wanted to get the opinions of guys who've "been there done that" before making such an investment.

So my question is:

If you were buying a new off the shelf 100# kit reel what would you be looking at and why?

Appreciate the help,

Steve

Buy it nice or buy it twice.

alantani

this one is an easy call. 

the reel - makaira 20 or penn 20 visx, 700 yards of 100# braid, a 25 yard 100 pound fluoro topshot, 30 pound at strike, 50 pounds at full

the rod - united composites viper or seeker 2x4.

really nothing else...........  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Crab Pot

That was quick!

I have homework to do.

Thanks Alan!

alantani

been fishing big fish lately.  also helping out a bunch of guys that want to head south like you.  50% of the equation is a reel that will deliver 30% at strike and 50% at full.  it's the "at full" part where older reels fall short. the other 50% is the rod.  at a 45 degree angle, you need to be able to pull straight down with 30 pounds of dead weight and have the rod tip bend halfway between the top of the arc and the bottom of the butt.  very few rods will hold up under that much load. 

that's it.  no more, no less.  you will have a perfectly balanced 100 pound rod and reel.   

alantani

Quote from: Crab Pot on September 11, 2018, 11:46:57 PM

I have homework to do.

maybe not so much.  we've been going through these for quite a while.  many of the other combinations have been found to be less than optimum. 

SoCalAngler

I respect Alan's insight but if you don't look at Calstar as a rod I think you may be missing something. More cow tuna here on the left coast have been landed on a Calstar than any other rod manufacture. Most of them combined.

United Composites have a huge following here, making great rods for small to big fish but Phenix? Ok if you want a Chinese made blank. That's cool and that is how they keep their rods cheaper. 

Also checkout a Calstar GFGR 775XXH rod for 100lb. If you want shorter for more pulling power look at a GFGR-770XXH. Both fish 100 lb fine and have landed many cow fish. These have been a standard for small to big fish here on the left coast for over 40 years.

steelfish

Quote from: SoCalAngler on September 12, 2018, 04:59:05 AM
.....................if you don't look at Calstar as a rod I think you may be missing something.............
Also checkout a Calstar GFGR 775XXH rod for 100lb. If you want shorter for more pulling power look at a GFGR-770XXH. Both fish 100 lb fine and have landed many cow fish. These have been a standard for small to big fish here on the left coast for over 40 years.

hey Mark, seems you know a lot about Calstar rods, whats your opinion between these next two short tuna rods a seeker CTSF60XXH and Calstar GF60H both are 130lb rod, I will build a short panga rod for big/medium size groupers in Baja as you know ( cow tuna fishing is not on my fishing map anytime soon) 
I have the chance to test both blanks and Calstar feels way more lighter than Seeker and the recoil on Calstar feels stronger too, but I dont know how hard that would be for the fisherman, Seeker feels more parabolic and I think could be more friendly to the fisherman's back.
whats your opinion on those two blank, these are perfect size for trolling or bait on a panga.
(I was about to open a new thread asking for this but this could help the choice of rod of our new friend Steve)

The Baja Guy

Crab Pot

So I have a line on a new in the box Penn 20 VISX for $500.

It's silver, think I'm going to pull the trigger.

sabaman1

Sounds like a great deal, Penn VISX are great reels, they too have been tested and proven on the San Diego Long Range Cow tuna grounds. Great free spool and the Dura drag system is Superior.

Jim
JIM

SoCalAngler

Quote from: steelfish on September 12, 2018, 04:11:30 PM
Quote from: SoCalAngler on September 12, 2018, 04:59:05 AM
.....................if you don't look at Calstar as a rod I think you may be missing something.............

hey Mark, seems you know a lot about Calstar rods, whats your opinion between these next two short tuna rods a seeker CTSF60XXH and Calstar GF60H both are 130lb rod, I will build a short panga rod for big/medium size groupers in Baja as you know ( cow tuna fishing is not on my fishing map anytime soon)  
I have the chance to test both blanks and Calstar feels way more lighter than Seeker and the recoil on Calstar feels stronger too, but I dont know how hard that would be for the fisherman, Seeker feels more parabolic and I think could be more friendly to the fisherman's back.
whats your opinion on those two blank, these are perfect size for trolling or bait on a panga.
(I was about to open a new thread asking for this but this could help the choice of rod of our new friend Steve)

Hey buddy,
Sorry this took a bit. Any way the Seeker rod blank you are talking about is a Black Steel if I'm not mistaken. When Seeker moved their blank production off shore (not in the USA) they had some issues with a couple of models as I understand it. I have not heard any more about those problems for a few years now but not so many here still fish Seekers. Not to say they don't have great rods but it seems less people are fishing them.

The good news is the BlackSteel rods were built way before Seeker changed hands and moved rod production off shore. I own a BlackSteel rod and love it but it is fishing a way lower test than you are looking to do. IMO the construction is solid and should fit your needs. And, if it feels better to you than the Calstar that's great.

That Calster blank I could not find with the numbering you gave me but I think the few your talking about are, a GF760XH, GF7460H or XH are right around 130 lb test at the top end. So I cant really help you there but that really does not matter.

You said you pulled on the blanks you tested and the Seeker felt better to you. Then to me it would be a no brainer, meaning if the BlackSteel felt better to you, jump on it.

I feel both rods will get the job done, both are well built, but if one feels better than the other to you then I think your choice is easy.

Swami805

The seeker he has is an older model before black steel when they still made them in either black or honey glass tips, the gold label ones. The calstar is a gf760H. Both are rated about the same,the calstar shuts off quicker, it has less glass in the tip.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Crab Pot

I have ordered a silver Penn 20 VISX.

Did my homework and found one on Bloody Decks, brand new in a sealed box, for $500 plus shipping.

Very excited.

Now the rod search continues.

I like the Calstars, have three of them, I also like Phenix even though the blanks are made in China.

The Phenix I'm looking at is the Axixs 40-100# HAX-780X2H in 7'-8".

Any other members using this rod?

Swami805

Any chance you can go pull on some? Good rods but a very different feel than a composite seeker or Calstar. Hard to say what's better, comes down to personal preference
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Ron Jones

I pulled on an Axis in Point Loma in Friday. I really like the whole Phenix line.
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

Likely they will be too light. Find 30 pounds of weight, or a nearby 3 year old, and see we what the flex looks like.