WIP wide top star

Started by STRIPER LOU, September 13, 2018, 05:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

Here's a wide top star I'm working on for a customers Custom 9/0. Its a full 1/4" wide and 316L stainless. Still plenty more to go!

(update) I recut this star slightly smaller and decided to use it for the 113H. The 6/0 -9/0 star will be aluminum to reduce weight.

Originally it was planned to use an existing star to make a threaded insert and its possible I may still go this route.

I have had some success with cutting the Buttress thread on my lathe. Made a single point internal threading tool as accurately as I could at the home shop but I'm not quite there. If I can get back to my workplace and get use of their Visual Grinder, I should be able to make the tool within a few thou and that should do the trick.

Shops getting pretty busy again but I'm still picking away at all these projects. Also have a few production jobs that I've taken from a couple of the local machine shops. Looks like its going to be a busy fall and winter.

As always, your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

All have a great day,  ..  Lou

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

steelfish

The Baja Guy

Reel 224

Nice work Lou, but I wouldn't expect anything else from your shop..............................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

mo65

Yes, like Dominick said, I like the trigger effect too, easy to adjust. Great work Lou! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Swami805

Good looking star,it almost looks like it's in motion. Nice design for a big reel
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Maxed Out

Another star is born !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

gstours

Thanks for sharing your pictures and thoughts.  Sst is the way to go, buttt, keep doing what you can at work,  the right machine makes it easier,  you are a lucky 🍀 guy to play with such nice toys......
   There's a few or more folks waiting for you to make these available I'm sure.   Wide pattle Star ⭐️
        I'm,in for some 113h And 114h Star in your production run eventually......🎣🤦‍♀️🆗⭐️⭐️⭐️

broadway

I'm digging your new design, Lou.  Looks like it would feel good cranking her down on the flat surface with some girth.
Keep it up, pal.  You're doing good things
Dom

mhc

Looks good Lou, it will be easy on the thumb/fingers pushing on the wide flat surfaces at the end of each leg - like Dom has said.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

STRIPER LOU

Thanks for all the comments Gents. I hadn't planned on making a production run of these as Adam has been selling stars here for a long time and I  use his products and sell them in my shop. They're top shelf!

Its just not the gentlemanly thing to do to cut into his turf or anyone else's. I couldn't compete with the pricing anyways and I'm pretty well loaded down with custom work. I pick away at this stuff in bits and pieces as I have time.

Looking for opinions here from the people that fish a lot. Great insight is invaluable and its always a learning curve!

..............Best,  ..  Lou

Alto Mare

No one is stepping on anyone's toes, that's not what the site is about. If it was, you would have stepped on the boss' toes, he's the one that started it all...everyone else just follows along.
I always encourage members to show us what they have to offer, that's what we do here...show support, not discourage their creativity.
I've been trying to get Adam to make us stars for the larger Senators, but it's just not worth it for him.
Someone is working on getting those for us, we first talked about it, a year ago.
He said he doesn't see any issues making those for us, he just needs time.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

STRIPER LOU

Sal, I meant nothing by it!

When the Boss offered me my own spot, I declined as he was selling like things at the time and I didn't feel it was appropriate for me to do so. I doubt if I could have kept up with the orders anyway and at my age I'm looking to spend more time fishing!

I believe Alan T's comments were, there's enough room for everyone.

As for Adam, his work is excellent and I'd be in the same boat as him, making these for nothing.

I enjoy and applaud the enormous amount of work and patience that I see here. Especially the gentlemen that are doing the hour upon hours of hand work. Drilling, cutting and filing. These are the true Artisans!

There's a lot to be learned from everyone. Its more of a hobby than anything and none of us would ever be able to make a living on it.

My fridge is full, my wife is healthy and happy, my boat is running,  ...   so for me, there's not a heck of a lot more I can ask for.

..................Lou

STRIPER LOU

Had some time to machine the back angle clearance (10 deg) and the lathe handled the interrupted cut pretty well. The tool bit, not so much! >:( >:(

I was surprised as its a very good grade of impact carbide. Might be better off with a conventional tin coated bit and sharpening it more often.

I cut the pad where the spacer bushing rides at .130 thou thick. I'd rather take a whisker off the bushing than hunt for or end up making a longer one.

Tmrw, I hope to drill and tap the center, add some decorative lightening holes, put a nice radius all around, and start polishing. Got a few other things to do first but I am picking away at it.

This star is a about 3 1/8" and the one for the 6/0 - 9/0 will be a about 3 1/4". On that one, I turned an insert out of a 10-114 and it will be pressed and screwed into the new star. That will take care of the Buttress thread and should work out well. I'd like to be further along on that particular one but unfortunately I'm not!

All have a great evening,  ..  Lou