Abu 7000 ok for saltwater fishing?

Started by Chuck750ss, September 14, 2018, 04:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck750ss

Have a 7000 I bought new two or three years ago that I use for catfishing. Wife and I have started surf fishing recently (daughter in Pensacola). Got two Penn 750 ss we use . They do double duty as catfishing reels for wife. I have some other big saltwater spinners I can use. Anyway, curious if the 7000 will be ok (with proper cleaning) as a surf reel.

reddrum55

For many years, it was the go to reel for surf casting on Hatteras Island. There is a bar kit available to remove the level wind for better casting.

Bryan Young

You should be fine.  I would put a very light coat of grease on all metal parts, add CorrosionX at all post to frame joints and wipe off excess.  I use a 6500C3 for my surf fishing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

FatTuna

A lot of people use Abus in the northeast for surf casting.

Chuck750ss

Quote from: Bryan Young on September 14, 2018, 05:42:58 PM
You should be fine.  I would put a very light coat of grease on all metal parts, add CorrosionX at all post to frame joints and wipe off excess.  I use a 6500C3 for my surf fishing.
Kinda what I thought Bryan. Thanks. I have a Daiwa 47h, but it is spooled with heavy mono for catfishing. Next time I spool it I will use braid and it can do double duty too.

thorhammer

corrosion X the bearings and spool with 17lb mono and let it fly.