How to clean the Rotor Assembly from a Johnson Country Mile 10

Started by Acetylcholin99, September 15, 2018, 06:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acetylcholin99

I have a question how can I clean the yellow spots on the Rotor Assembly from a Johnson Country Mile 10.

I attached some Photos.

Thx

Michael

Rivverrat

I would want to know what it is first. Second get all the plastic out of there before using certain solvents... Jeff 

Acetylcholin99

I think it is a kind of corrosion. I can't take the plastic out cus it is firmly attach with a bolt. So the risk that it will break is too high

foakes

Likely the safest would be some "0000" steel wool, or a wire wheel on a Dremel.

Then whatever, if anything is still evident — just leave it there.  It will be smooth and in that location is in the inside of the cover where it will never show.

It is a strange looking corrosion — if it indeed is corrosion.  Looks like something else to me.  I believe an abrasive will take it off without hurting the plastic.

Assume this is a Johnson Century?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Quote from: foakes on September 16, 2018, 03:39:28 AM

That's not a Century Fred...it's an actual model called the Country Mile. My Dad had one of these little reels and that thing literally would cast a country mile! He loved it, but one day hooked a big ol' bass and after it drug him up and down the bank a few times that little reel never worked the same.:D  I'd leave that marker paint alone...it's prolly just some manufacturing marking or something...enjoy your reel! 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Rivverrat

Quote from: mo65 on September 16, 2018, 04:29:33 PM
Quote from: foakes on September 16, 2018, 03:39:28 AM

....I'd leave that marker paint alone...it's prolly just some manufacturing marking or something...enjoy your reel! 8)

I agree. It's on both sides... Jeff

Acetylcholin99

It is just on the inside. And it a combo with the rod ( johny walker). It was in the basement of a fishing store for ever....
I thought that it is a corrosion why should it be a marker?

Reel 224

It could be residue from the oil or lube the settled in the corner for many years an hence the staining. You should try Fred's suggestion of 0000 wool and see if that works..............................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Gfish

I's gonna ask why get ridda that yellow stuff if it's not degrading the metal rotor, at the begginning of this post. It's pretty hidden when the reel's assembled, right? In other words, agree with Mo n' Jeff...

Johnson made some of the best spincasters IMO.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Acetylcholin99

It is a good point and I know that is crazy but it drives me nuts even when I know you will not see it....

basto

Looks to me like an anti corrosion spray paint or primer. Can see what looks like rust underneath it.
Maybe gently rub it with some acetone or lacquer thinner to remove it, but you might find you will want to treat the rust underneath then.
good luck
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Acetylcholin99

I try to take another picture tomorrow. There is no rust. I checked with a screwdriver. There a very tiny little black spots and from there the yellow discoloration starts.... I don't feel comfortable to put it in lacquer thinner because of the plastic part. I can't remove it and I am tiny bit worried that it will get destroyed by the lacquer thinner.... I put it in a simple green bath and after that I will decide what to try...

foakes

Sometimes we can over-think things too much.

I know this to be true, since my wife reminds of it on a regular basis!  🤦‍♀️

Just use a little steel wool in "0000" — or a Dremel with a fine wire wheel. 

Most of it should come right off.

Rinse it in 💦 water — then blow 💨 it completely dry.

If you are concerned about protecting the surface — just brush it over with a little clear fingernail polish.

Just my opinion...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Acetylcholin99

Fred, I will follow your advice as I did with the J.A. Coxe Reel ;) And I'm very happy with the result as the photos showed ;)
By the way I don't need google I have my wife :D

I'm curious if there are also yellow spots on other Country Mile reel too? 

For blowing would you use a regular hair-dryer?